Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield TRP and 200g SWC feed issue

dmcclain

I have a Springfield TRP that I just recently started loading 200g SWC from Bulletworks. I'm using Federal cases and 5g WST. TRP is about three years old with never an issue in ~8k 230g FMJ. TRP is completely stock.

When the round is stripped from the mag, the nose impacts the feed ramp and the bevel portion of the throat at 6 o-clock. The bullet has an obvious impact mark on the leading nose edge where it impacts. Directly below that and on the case, the case is impacting, something, and creating a crease. I don't believe it is the throat because it is a straight crease and I would have anticipated a curved line based on the angle the case would still be engaging with the ramp/throat.

OAL less than 1.245 and I was getting three point failure to feed, where nose of bullet is hitting the top of the chamber, followed by shoulder and then bottom portion of the case. At about 1.265 or longer, I'm not flush with the barrel hood. OAL at about 1.255 and it isn't as noticeable. Magazines are Wilson 47D, but also tried it in the standard 7rd CM's. It is more pronounced on the first couple rounds in a full mag with the Wilsons and the first rd in the CM's.

Anyone run into this before and what was the solution? Is this a magazine problem?

Thanks in advance!

200g%20SWC%20Case%20impact%20on%20throat%20directly%20below%20bullet%20nose.jpg

Only thing I can think of that would be causing that crease would be when the round jams the slide forces the brass into the barrel?

What pound recoil spring are you using?

Do you have enough lead shoulder on the bullet exposed so that is riding up the feed ramp and not the brass case?

Is your extractor to tight an not lettig the round under it it maybe not beveled?

Did you just shoot factory ammo before this and now your shooting you reloads?

I have been trying to get 200 swcs to work in my 1911 and XDm for months now... just not happening. Gave up and switched to RNs since they run flawlessly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

In my Sentry, the 200 gr. SWC runs about 95% of the time. :surprise: I switched to 230 gr. RN, runs 100% of the time. Both are Bayou Bullets.

Has the barrel been throated and the feed ramp polished?

(Per Chuck Anderson- Throating refers to a gentle relief of the lower edge of the chamber. It is a slight bevel of the lower edge that allows the cartridge to transition from the magazine to the barrel more easily.)

That very same bullet runs flawlessly in my PT-1911, go figure, with the stock mags and also with CM 8 & 10 rounders. OAL 1.245.

Also with the Missouri bullet of what appears to be identical configuration.

It is not the bullet OAL.

I would be willing to bet, a substantial amount, that it is the throat/ feed ramp. My second guess would be the magazines.

If you do not want to sent it to a gunsmith, Get some 200 or 230g LRN.

Edited by ricardo28

Don't worry about the crimp measurement or OAL. If they are going to work at all, leave about a thumbnails width of lead above the rim of the brass and crimp so that there is zero "edge" from lead to brass. This is important.....There should be no bump from lead to brass when you run your finger along it. The lead part of the bullet will run up the feed ramp, you want the lead doing that, not the brass, and don't want any "bump" to disrupt this. Do this and they will run, or your shooter doesn't like SWC.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old but are these plated? I haven't used the Bulletworks bullets but my Loaded would not reliably feed Xtreme SWC at any OAL (one FTF out of 20 shots or so, regardless of Tripp, Wilson or Springfield magazines). I recently switched to a different bullet which has a much more rounded edge on the flat part, and this seems muuuuch better.

With the Xtreme you could actually feel a "ka-chunk" as the slide returned to battery, from the bullet nose hitting the chamber initially. Now it's just a "chunk" as it is with RN bullets.