Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally classed and need help

WrxGuy90

Yes I saw that you got to shoot a lot of uspsa. I wish I could. They just don't have to many matches around me that I can make every time. Thank you for the title of the book though and ill look into the other as well

I hope this comes across the way I want it to come across. i hope it does not seem cross and condescending.

I have just skimmed this thread, and I see a lot of I can't and negative waves from the originial poster. Stop coming up with reason for not getting something done or getting some accomplished and do it.

Some examples of what I am talking about:

"finally got classified"

"That much improvement is possible"

"Not many matches around me that I can make regularly"

"I am limited on dry fire space"

"i don't remember to add the book to the cart"

If you want to get better you find a way and do it. There is no way to get better with little time and effort being involved. There is no magic bullet that makes you a better shooter. It is sacrifice of time, money, and the magic ingriedent of sweat.The first step is to decide what you want to do and the find ways to get it done. Where there is a will there is a way. Find the path to improvement and stop looking at the obstacles. Get off the computer and onto the range.

Good luck with the journey.

Well thanks for at least clearing the air. It could have come across upsetting. But, no, they aren't excuses. There's just other things that have been in the mix also. Work, school, and gym just to work. If I could I'd shoot three or four times a week but I simply can't. And the dry fire space... Well u have to get a smaller town house when you have to pay an exwife to live her life.

I tell myself to "slow down and make sure the sights are lined up and squeeze." But then I hear the buzzer and I loose focus.

Sounds like you're a pretty good shooter.

Major problem is the 11 Mikes ...

If you could convince yourself that you cannot afford to miss the target, you'd improve very quickly.

BTW, there is No Such Thing as a double tap - each shot has to be fired with the sights = shoot, and

re-aim and re-fire.

You seem to be shooting as fast as you can and hoping you hit. It works better the other way around - shoot to hit every time, as fast as you can.

:cheers:

Thanks hi-power jack. Slowing down has been my goal these last few days. Just got back from the range and made sure I didn't pack the timer. I had to remind myself that I very well can shot out the center of a target once I slow down and take a breath

What about taking one dedicated match and shoot every single shot for an A just to see what times that produces? Say to yourself, "this match is for A's only. I don't care if it takes me all day to run a stage, I"m not going to hurry, every shot is going to be an A."

Tar

• 3 months later...

Take a serious look at Mike Seeklander's book and DVDs. It's a very methodical approach on how to go about training starting with what your goals are. It's really brilliant work. My problem is finding the time to practice. :(

Yea. I tell myself every match to "slow down and make sure the sights are lined up and squeeze." But then I hear the buzzer and I loose focus. My first stage is always the worst because nine times out of ten its the first time I've fired in a month and I'm just excited I get to shoot again. When the results came out and I saw how many mikes I got I was pretty upset.

To reduce your nerves and retain your focus try these couple of things:

1. Spend some time dry firing before the match, either at home before you leave or get to the match early (not for hours, just enough to warm up)

2. Make sure your you are organised before its your turn to shoot so you are not running around at the last minute looking for stuff or wondering if you have re-loaded your mags when your in the starting box;

3. Once the stage is open for a walk through use the time to count the rounds, make a plan and burn it into your memory. If you have to wait some time before it is your turn to shoot, run through the stage again both physically and mentally several times a shooter or 2 before your turn;

4. In the starting box run through your pre-shooting routine i.e. check your dot is on, your muffs are on etc. what ever it may be and then run through the stage in your mind a final time.

The outcome of all of this should be that you are not distracted, you know what you need to do, so when the buzzer goes off all you have to do is do it.