Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which factory .40 ammo is about major?

Tokarev

I don't guess this belongs in "reloading" but it is an ammo question. Which brand of factory ammo is right at or just over major? I've got a match coming up and may not have time to sit down and reload.

I'd prefer to shoot 180's if anybody has some info. I've looked at some manufacturers' websites but don't believe the data listed.

As a side note, Speer's 165 Gold Dot runs at about 1,100 FPS from my STI, which is about right. Too bad it's $20.00 a box!

Federal American Eagle 180 grain fmj is around 990 fps.

Winchester USA 165 grain fmj is around 1000 fps and if I recall, made major and felt mild enough in my STI last year.

Winchester USA also makes a 180, but I can't recall what PF it is.

As a side note, Speer's 165 Gold Dot runs at about 1,100 FPS from my STI, which is about right. Too bad it's $20.00 a box!

If that is what you like. Thats 181.5 PF for the Gold dot load. Id go with the Win white box ammo. The 165's in my KKM Glock 35 barrel, made 168PF.

I just chrono'd a batch of factory ammo. Using my G35 with a KKM barrel.

I don't recall all of the data. (I'll write it up once I pull it from my log book.)

All the factory loads did make major. The closest (lowest) to major was the UMC (remington) 180 fmj.

But I do remember that the PMC 180 fmj did NOT make major.

Hope that helps. More later...

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm looking for factory ammo that runs at or just over 165 PF.

Well if you want to get that close to 165 you'll have to be more specific and tell us the gun and barrel length. Something that is close in a Glock 23 will be smoking out of a longslide 1911.

found my log book....

Shot from Glock 35, 5.3" KKM barrel

temp = 75

300 ft. above sea level

10 shot average

Fed. 180 fmj 1014 pf 183

Miwall (factory reloads) 180 fmj 851 pf 153

UMC 180 jhp 1040 pf 187 (a little steam with these! @ Wally world for $20/100)

UMC 180 fmj 987 pf 178

PMC 180 fmj 888 pf 160

I know you said 180 gr, but Winchester White box (target loads) 165 gr. is published at 1000 fps. I shot it at the Nationals and it chronographed at 167.3. It has slightly more recoil and is a little louder than similar loads using VV powder.

Available at Wal-Mart for $16.00/box 100.

careful with that walmart value pack 40 with 165 grain bullets

i have seen a brand new glock 35 keyhole with it...it also didnt make major...source of the problem was .395 bullets.

I do like the way that load feels though...if i shot limited alot thats what i would try to duplicate...its a 165 grain bullet and WSF powder, i believe.

• 3 months later...