Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 20

dawg05

I purchased a Glock 20 a few years ago and am now looking to get into IDPA or GSSF. I have a KKM barrel, Bomar style rear and Dawson fiber optic green front, .100. I have put the grip tape on and that helps greatly in the whole not dropping the gun thing. The Wolfe spring kit also helped alot. I am practicing with the sidearmor holster and mag holders for the stock hicap mags. My only problem is that I don't reload and ammo is hard to find that isn't JHP. Does anyone have any recomendations on a manufacturer of 10mm ammo in FMJ, SWC, anything but JHP or lead WC/SWC? Also, any recomended parts/work for the gun itself and any other equipment I need? I have gotten the hang of the whole mechanics thing, not great by any streach of the imagination, but need to clear up the whole equipment thing so I can concentrate on shooting. Thanks in advance!

For what you pay for factory ammo...you could buy a Dillon reload setup and be money ahead in short time.

Natchezss.com likely has CCI/Blazer ammo in 10mm

We put a KKM 40 barrel in the G20. Even cheaper to feed. Works great.

• 2 months later...
For what you pay for factory ammo...you could buy a Dillon reload setup and be money ahead in short time.

Natchezss.com likely has CCI/Blazer ammo in 10mm

Are you telling me that a Glock 20 can be converted to 40sw by just switching the barrel? If so, this setup should accept long 40 loads too? Is it legal for IPSC standard division? I have always been uncomfortable with the grip on the Glock 22. So, for me this sounds like a really good idea.

olp

Yes olp73, it is legal for IPSC Standard. The onlt "problem" to me seems magazine capacity. I don't know of any IPSC-box legal magazinde extentions for the G20. You could probably have some custom made though.

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you I would find a way to start reloading. You don't need to go all out right away, Lee has a good set up starter set for about $100.00 and it has all that you need to safely get started. You will recoup your costs within a few shooting sessions. Best of all is you learn a lot and it is fun. As time goes by you can save up for a Dillon press and speed things up.

I started 32 years ago with a single stage press, dies, powder measure, scale, trimmer and two reloading manuals. I learned a lot about what makes an accurate reload. Now I have 2 Dillon 650's and one 550. I reload for 16 different calibers and really enjoy it.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Flex, where did ya' get the KKM 40 conversion? Do you have to do any other work to any of the workings of the pistol? how about mags? 40 is a bit shorter than the 10, so not sure how that works in the magazine area. Thanks for the help.

We put a KKM 40 barrel in the G20.  Even cheaper to feed.  Works great.

Flex, where did ya' get the KKM 40 conversion? Do you have to do any other work to any of the workings of the pistol? how about mags? 40 is a bit shorter than the 10, so not sure how that works in the magazine area. Thanks for the help.

I think I got it straight from KKM Precision.

I put in a stainless (captured) rod and a lighter recoil spring, both from ISMI. I think I went with a 13# spring.

40's run fine in the G20 mags.

For IDPA competition you may not change the barrel in the Glock 20 to .40S&W. The following is directly from the rulebook:

From SSP rules:

"6. A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original

factory model."

From ESP rules:

"3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel

with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the

use of Briley Bushings)."

Hope this helps..............

Roy,

I knew you couldn't change caliber in ESP (thought about running 38 super Comp), but in the rule you quote for SSP...

"another caliber"...the literal meaning of caliber is the diameter fo the bullet. 40 and 10mm are the same caliber.

(just asking...I'm not up to date on IDPA rules)

Just piling on ...

I own a G20 that I put an EFK .40sw bbl into ... have shot it at 12+ local USPSA matches ... never one problem ... NOT ONE.

Use the regular G20 mags ... regular G20 recoil spring ... regular G20 everything ... just drop in the new bbl and test-fire.

I have particularly large hands and have always preferred my G20 grip over G34/G35 ... it's made a tremendous difference in speed/accuracy.

One could argue a slight competitive advantage as the .40sw bbl has a shorter chamber and, therefore, more weight at that location. But, considering the G34/G35, I'd like to meet the guy who says this isn't "Hoyle". :rolleyes:

Since i would be shooting in ESP, it shouldn't be a problem right? Flex you have a good point with the whole 10mm being the same caliber as the .40. so if you are going by the SSP rules even it technically shouldn't be a problem, depending on how the IDPA powers that be rule on it. Not planning on shooting in SSP anyway so the caliber change shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for all the clarification.

Roy,

I knew you couldn't change caliber in ESP (thought about running 38 super Comp), but in the rule you quote for SSP...

"another caliber"...the literal meaning of caliber is the diameter fo the bullet. 40 and 10mm are the same caliber.

(just asking...I'm not up to date on IDPA rules)

Flex:

If the factory configuration for a specific model # is for instance 10mm, one could not change out the barrel and shoot .40S&W at a match. At local matches it probably wouldn't be an issue with the SO's or MD's. However, at a major match the change would not be permitted.

Boy that opens a can of worms.. would .40 in a 10mm barrel (bad idea, but just for arguments sake) be legal? How about .38 in .357 chambers? 38 Supercomp in 38 Super barrels? It would be a lot easier to use the original definition of "caliber" (meaning: diameter of bullet) and leave what the headstamp says alone.

Flex:

If the factory configuration for a specific model # is for instance 10mm, one could not change out the barrel and shoot .40S&W at a match. At local matches it probably wouldn't be an issue with the SO's or MD's. However, at a major match the change would not be permitted.

Say's who?

There's waaaaaayy too much room for interpretation for anyone other than Bill to lay down the law.

Since i would be shooting in ESP, it shouldn't be a problem right? Flex you have a good point with the whole 10mm being the same caliber as the .40. so if you are going by the SSP rules even it technically shouldn't be a problem, depending on how the IDPA powers that be rule on it. Not planning on shooting in SSP anyway so the caliber change shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for all the clarification.

Glock did not manufacture a large frame pistol in .40S&W, only 10mm and .45acp. When the rulebook states "replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration" for ESP division, factory configuration refers to cartridge type and barrel type (i.e. link vs. linkless, etc.).

I think the issue is that there is no clarification in the rule book one way or the other. does the rule book clarify the definition of "caliber" or "Factory configuration" or did i miss it? It's not that I have an aversion to shooting the 10mm, just .40 has a bit less recoil and is cheaper to shoot.

If you are reloading, I don't think there will be a recoil difference in favor of the 40. (TDean could answer that better, since he made his trip to Grand Master by putting rounds thru the G20.)

Cheaper to shoot...I am with you there. Cheap brass, and no having to setup the press to load for large pistol/primers.

And, it sure is nice to be able to go to Wal-mart and pick up some val-u-pak Winchester ammo (which runs just fine in my G20 with KKM 40 barrel).