Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Stage Trigger?

Dave C

I have a new M&P Pro 9mm that seems to have a two stage trigger. When I press the trigger, I can feel the sear start to move, then it kind of hangs up just prior to releasing the sear. I have installed an Apex competition sear/spring kit and polished the daylights out of everything possible. The trigger was just plain nasty prior to the Apex install. I have three other M&Ps and have been very successful installing Apex stuff and just polishing up the stock parts. I am starting to think I have a sear block that may out of spec. Any ideas?

Thanks Dave

Could be your trigger bar loop. That may be engaging the USB really early and causing the feeling you're getting. Also, are you sure it's not the trigger safety catching on the way up?

Thank you for the information.

I guess the trigger bar loop may be the culprit. The trigger safety is not catching on the way up.

I just went thru the same thing actually. Brand new m&p with sear and USB installed. It had a double click. After a few days polishing checking the trigger safety swapping trigger assy's and messing with it I took a striker assy's out of one of my other guns and that fixed it. The funny thing is the striker from the new gun worked just fine in my others. I thought I had a bad sear too so I called apex and they sent me a new one. It did the same thing. Try swapping strikers if you can.

I just went thru the same thing actually. Brand new m&p with sear and USB installed. It had a double click. After a few days polishing checking the trigger safety swapping trigger assy's and messing with it I took a striker assy's out of one of my other guns and that fixed it. The funny thing is the striker from the new gun worked just fine in my others. I thought I had a bad sear too so I called apex and they sent me a new one. It did the same thing. Try swapping strikers if you can.

Just today, I installed a new striker that I got from Brownells.It did not fix my situation. I may head for my work bench and start swapping parts from my other M&Ps.

Have you shot it since swapping everything? I just built up a backup gun last night. Brand new everything with the FSS. Noticed it had the exact click that your talking about. Took it to the range an hour ago and ripped through 100 rounds breaking/sighting in. Noticed that it no longer has the click. A little gritty still, but if its like my main one, after a couple hundred more rounds and a good scrubbing. That should smooth out as well.

The clicking went away with mine too when I put the factory pro sear back in.

+1. Factory Pro sear fixed the problem, but made my trigger heavier than I like it, and the reset wasn't as crisp. Went back to the AEK sear and just learned to live with that annoying little "click".