Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STAINLESS OR DROP FORGED BARREL

trlloyd

There are more of course but this is a good general guide. I'm waiting on a BHW 18" LTR myself, looking at 10 weeks I hear. Pat is the MAN, Old guys rule!

I've been waiting since the end of October.

Yikes! figures....glad I have another to shoot during the wait.

I've got a White Oak SPR on the AR now. It's okay, not great. Another has a Lothar Walther on it. That gun is a billet Firebird and it's a bit heavy, great for Rocky Mountain 3 Gun. If push comes to shove, I have a K&P blank that can be machined up.

I found a syrac adjustable gas block and rifle length tube. It should be her by the end of the week.

Dan, what is Rocky Mountain 3 Gun? Is it a course of fire or is it actually in the Rockies?

Chief, what was your rate?

Do you guys reccomend a particular bullet weight with using a low mass BCG or even a NM BCG?

RM3G is unique. I am not sure there are really any "hoser" targets. The stages are long, there are always choices, the facility is awesome and most of your shooting skills except maybe hosing close range targets, will be tested. Good rifleman really enjoy RM3G, and yes it is in the southern Rockies.

If there are 5 major matches you should put on the bucket list, it would be RM3G, Iron Man, Blue Ridge, FNH and Superstition.

WOW, I don't know much about the RM3G but listening to you guys, it sounds like the course to shoot. I would spend more time on the computer looking things up but I just had surgery and am kind of layed up. I can only get on line for a few before I need to rest. So, I really appreciate the answers.

Dan if you are using 55 and 77 grain bulltes what determines which you will use during a course?

Mark for the courses you listed do you have to have qualifying scores at lesser matches, kind of like finishing a marathon in a set time to run Boston?

55 grain bullets get used on the close paper and steel out to about 200 yards. The 77's get used past that. My Lothar Walther barrel shoots them to the same windage, and at 300 yards the 55's are about 2 inches higher than the 77's.

You don't have to qualify, just get the application in fast enough! The big matches fill fast, and there are differing methods for registration.

Good luck with recovery from surgery!

Here's a video of an middle age guy, from about sea level shooting RM3G.(6500 feet+ elevation)

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Chief, what was your rate?

I was an ATC Aircrewman, build guitar amps now.

www.collinsamps.com

I'm shopping for another 18" 223 wylde SS barrel if BHW is going to take that long. Just missed a sexy criterion priced right on ebay and also some ER Shaw's that I know nothing about are popping up here & there. GunBroker is still nutz.

Edited by XNavyChief

Great video Dan. Mark, inCO would you say the places you shoot are closer to 200yds than farther out? Would a 55 grain bullet be a good generic one to start with?

I went yesterday to fill out my paperwork for my lower; 5 - 6 week wait now. :( at least it is here. I also received in ghe mail my syrac gas block and gas tube. Next week on Thursday my barrel will be in.

Getting there. :)

Out to 200-250 a 55 grain bullet or something in that weight range (52-55) is good. As Mark pointed out, targets past 350 are a small percentage of what's in major matches. Rocky Mountain has the most of the matches I've shot. I've not shot too many. :D Blue Ridge has some, and FNH had maybe 4 or 5 last year. Rocky Mountain uses big targets on the long ones, roughly the body size of a USPSA target. FNH used MGM flashers out to 380 last year. Blue Ridge used targets similar to Rocky Mountain on their few long targets. (I didn't shoot Blue Ridge last year)

Todd, where are you located? How far are you willing to travel for matches?

I am currently living in Maryland, near Baltimore. I hope to be moving to Colorado before the end of the year.

traveling would not bother me. Right now, it is a matter of getting my gear together, and getting me knee healed to where I can run and gun. :)

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

If you are moving to Colorado, you may want to check out all the new laws before you buy much stuff. It looks like it is gonna be a mess or really it is a mess & after June or so, will be near illegal to move in with good stuff.