Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what can happen with to long A O L ?

CZ85Combat

I'll try to keep a civil tone, but I really do want to know: does a longer OAL increase or decrease pressure?

I'm just trying to get started in reloading, and since I don't have any primers, I can't run my own tests, so I'm looking to people I suspect know what they're doing to give me solid advice.

The video maker could be relating to loading for a rifle, which you can create an over pressure situation if you get the bullet on, or into the lands. It all depends on the specific load/chamber/throat.. etc. Lots of guys load their rounds into the lands, but they've probably worked them up to that point, and believe they are safe.

I suppose it could happen with a pistol, but most of the time, I would think the slide would be kept out of battery before getting into the rifling so far to cause an issue.

I'll try to keep a civil tone, but I really do want to know: does a longer OAL increase or decrease pressure?

I'm just trying to get started in reloading, and since I don't have any primers, I can't run my own tests, so I'm looking to people I suspect know what they're doing to give me solid advice.

In general a longer OAL decreases pressure in a rifle or pistol. The bullet touching the lands prior to firing will increase chamber pressure since more force is required to start the bullet moving and bullet upset (Obturation).

(Loading rifle bullets to just touch the lands is done by some for bench rest shooting or maximum accuracy. (If done the recommendation is to start at minimum and work up.))

Looks like you can still see the ruptured case in the chamber. I will assume it was a double charge. It even split the chamber that still appears to be locked into the slide. I will try and post my exploded AR 15. This can happen to any of us, and I have been handling firearms for over 50 years. I still blew up a Deltron upper.

Looks like you can still see the ruptured case in the chamber. I will assume it was a double charge. It even split the chamber that still appears to be locked into the slide. I will try and post my exploded AR 15. This can happen to any of us, and I have been handling firearms for over 50 years. I still blew up a Deltron upper.

What was the cause? Overcharge?

Well... longer than "standard" OAL's will generally be safer as they produce less overall pressure because there is more room in the case under the bullet than a shorter OAL would have for a given powder load. This all goes out the window if the bullet is actually touching the lands in the barrel, which is sort of like shooting with a plugged bore, as the bullet will not immediately move upon firing, and the pressure can build too rapidly. This is especially true using very fast powders. Unlike rifle loadings, where the use of relatively slow powders allows you to actually touch the lands, pistol loadings all use relatively fast powders which build pressure very quickly, so touching the lands is not recommended. Whether or not this was the cause of the above "gun disassembly", is still in question, though I would suspect his "minor" loads used a faster than recommended powder anyway, but that may be only part of the ensuing difficulty. Regardless, if you pursue very long OAL's for the gun you are using, you should find the absolute maximum and back off by at least .005 to allow for bullet movement at the point of ignition.

What was the cause? Overcharge?

No, no double charge....stupidity was theproblem. I ran a round into chamber, got distracted after pulling the trigger. After fixing my buddy's firearm, I went back to mine Pulled back the charging handle saw a empty get ejected. I loaded another on my single shot sled, Chambered another round......pulled the trigger.....boom.TWO BULLETS inside the barrel. ALL MY OWN STUPIDITY? I should have checked but In my hast it ruined the entire upper, scope mount bolt carrier extractor and magazine.

boom.TWO BULLETS inside the barrel.

With an AR15, that's a BIG boom!

Well Right after the boom all I saw was a cloud of white smoke hit me In the face. A moment later after the smoke cleared I busted out laughing. I know what you must be thinking now., but I looked at my buddy and he asked( With Horror On This Face)Why I was laughing and I said " I'm laughing because I can see" Sounds stupid but that was the first thought that came into my head. By the way the barrel had no bulge. Everything else was trashed.