Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA: 2013 FLA State Champs - The Stages!

Damien, gotcha.... I was fortunate enough to get my 2nd bump in as many matches.... now that Im in Expert class I have a feeling that streak will end. :surprise: ...I sure dont "feel" like a SSP EX :bow: .....I sent my app off for Carolina Cup but doubt I will get in ....Im doin Alabama though.....

Paul, you were great to be RO'd by..... you made me feel calm & at ease while the "book/ draw/ activator" debate was going on...

Had a few decent spots..... but a TON to improve upon if I expect to do well now..... :blush:

Thanks for the compliment. That was the first big IDPA match I have worked. You had some nice runs! I thought there were 22 people shooting CDP SS so by finishing second I assumed I got bumped but there were only 18 that finished 1 DQ and 1 DNF so I am still SS in CDP. I may have to change my application to the carolina cup back to CDP from ESP

I was just looking at the scores. I finished 4th overall on stage 7 :surprise: I felt pretty good about that one but WOW. I finished 11th overall on stage 9.

Here's a link to my runs....

Had a few decent spots..... but a TON to improve upon if I expect to do well now..... :blush:

Thanks very much for posting this. I took Dan's "Intro to Action Shooting" course at WAC and then got caught on the ammo crisis. I hoarded enough ammo to do the Orlando GSSF match, but now I'm on the beach, so to speak, until I get an ammo shipment. I've been using the time to watch a lot of action shooting videos on YouTube which I think will help quite a bit once I get to shoot. This is the first time I've been able to watch someone go through an entire day of shooting so it's really helpful.

I do have two questions (well more than that, but I don't want to a pest) from what I saw:

1. What pistol were you using?

2. What happened at the end of the seventh stage (Saving Fifi)? Something happened right at the end that you clearly weren't pleased with.

Ask away Eric ! Thats how Im learning too !

1 Glock 34

2 stage 7 T9 was a "clam shell" I told myself only take 1 shot at the -0 portion (because its so fast) and take the second from cover in the exposed head portion after the clam shell shuts. In the heat of the moment I got greedy & thought I could make BOTH shots.... I ended up hitting the non threat adding 5 seconds to my time....for the record... I lost by like 7.somthing.....

Being new also I learned some valuable lessons this match... although I was not pleased w my effort, the match was so unbelievably fun & well organized. I will always remember my 2nd sanctioned match ! Ask anything ya like, tons of people have helped me & I surely will "pass it forward"

Erich

I had a blast this past weekend. Sorry I didn't get to meet Dan though. Lots of challenging stages and well worth the money to fly down and test my skills (they were lacking btw). For my first ever sanctioned match I think I got a taste of really high-level shooting.

I was hoping Stage 7 would get thrown out. That was a nasty one. Even Massad Ayoob was happy when that stage was over.

Good shooting Paul and Fireman. Paul, thanks for SO'ing. That clam shell on your stage was a doozy for me. I transitioned too slow after shooting the drop turner and didn't get any shots on the clam shell. At least I didn't shoot the no shoot.

My home club ran stage 7, no advantage for me. Those guys worked their butts off, Kudos to Alan and the gang. Fireman, I watched your videos, your fundamentals are excellent, just a matter of time. You have "match sense". Let's encourage one another to master class. I'm inspired by your progress. :cheers:

Looking forward to meeting everyone in person. My check for the Carolina Cup was cashed, hopefully I'm in. If the new range in Homestead opens this summer, my home club will host the IDPA Sunshine State Games match down in South Florida later this year. No match bumps though since the match is only for Florida residents.

Ask away Eric ! Thats how Im learning too !

1 Glock 34

2 stage 7 T9 was a "clam shell" I told myself only take 1 shot at the -0 portion (because its so fast) and take the second from cover in the exposed head portion after the clam shell shuts. In the heat of the moment I got greedy & thought I could make BOTH shots.... I ended up hitting the non threat adding 5 seconds to my time....for the record... I lost by like 7.somthing.....

Being new also I learned some valuable lessons this match... although I was not pleased w my effort, the match was so unbelievably fun & well organized. I will always remember my 2nd sanctioned match ! Ask anything ya like, tons of people have helped me & I surely will "pass it forward"

Erich

I'm sure that non-threat target had it coming. :devil: I'm so new at this point that I'm not even sure what questions to ask. I've been reading quite a bit, watching lots of YouTube videos on how people are shooting, and listening to some podcasts (PowerFactor). That's why I enjoyed watching your video because it was great experience to watch the same person go through a variety of stages so I can pick up how you are doing reloads, footwork, etc.

Hey Eric,

I'll see you at the St Augustine GSSF match in November. Good luck with the journey. Lots of fun and exciting. If you haven't already for your shooting library, pickup the following:

Brian Enos' Practical Shooting

Mike Seeklander's Book

Ben Stoeger's 3 books

Lanny Bassham's With Winning in Mind

I would start first with the newest book from Ben Stoeger, Practical Pistol: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pistol-ebook/dp/B00BFSGG5Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363290409&sr=8-4&keywords=ben+stoeger

Just bought it a couple days ago, very easy reading, lays an excellent foundation.

Edited by dee loo

Thank you so much for the book recommendations. Yes, the Stoeger, Practical Pistol book looks like a winner. I also want to save my pennies to get some professional instruction since I have seen the benefit of that just from a brief encounter I had with Glock's Joel Hodges at Orlando GSSF.

I was trained in the weaver stance back in my law enforcement days and I was really struggling with isosceles at the Orlando match. Joel was kind enough to take a few minutes with me and teach me what I think I have heard referred to as the classic IPSC stance with the thumbs pointing forward, etc. I had a dramatic improvement after talking to him so I'm all about soaking up as much knowledge as I can from anyone who is willing to share it.

Those are all great books & I had the opportunity to review Ben's newest book...."Practical Pistol" .....I loved it. I would also add to those books Steve Anderson's "Refinement & Repetition" as well as "Principles of Performance"... IMHO these 2 along w Ben's, Lanny's & Brian's....are MUST haves.... buy these BEFORE buying more ammo.... they're THAT important.....