Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open revo

matt hoffman

I'm shooting Bianchi this year for first time. I decided to shoot revo in production,but just picked up a vcomp. Decided to shoot open and use it in icore open as well. Any reccomendations on red dots? I cant seem to find the dot my 4moa jpoint, but was quick using a Vortex strikefire on it (really big though). I thought about going with an 8moa, but hate to through alot of $ around. Thanks for any input

Matt, I have never shot the Bianchi, but have dabbled into ICORE. Every once in a while one can find the Tasco ProPoint. Some are listed as PDP4's or PDP5 or even the Plus. They have a variable Dot size. But the nomenclature does not insure that you have the variable dot. You have to check to be sure. You can choose which ever size suits you the best. I zero the dot at 50 for what I want and can change to the shorter distances when needed. The dot size I use for 50 yards just covers the X ring at 50. I hope this is helpful. later rdd

The Vortex, Burris and the other Aimpoint copies that use the 2032 battery are a 4 to 5 moa dot (about 7.2oz). That's as large as you really want to go because at 50 you will cover the X-ring. The micro scopes are light but hard to find the dot shooting weak hand. If you can buy an Aimpoint. It has a slightly larger reticle but is slightly heavier. The larger cheaper scopes like the Tasco have more parallax so if you aren't centered in the middle of the scope your point of aim shifts. Also open up the slits on the V-Comp end cap so it's one big chamber. Run a slow powder like autocomp with a lighter bullet like a Zero 125 jhp if you can find them.

Another good scope is the Pride Fowler (8oz) it's a little heavier than the Aimpoint (7.8oz), not sure what size the single dot is.

http://www.rapidreti...?ID=16&grpID=8#

cimg1664.jpg

Julie Golob's gun.

Edited by toothguy

Thanks. I think the dot size is subjective. I looked at an aimpoint pro at the gun show,guy said it was a 3moa. Alot crisper and seemed easier to pick up. I like the aimpoints, except the price/availability. Better to cry once than cry twice buying a cheaper one.

Working on loads now. Ive got the Zero 125's,federal primers but 231 powder. I'm a newbie at reloading so its slow and steady right now. Thanks again for the replies, Matt

Thanks. I think the dot size is subjective. I looked at an aimpoint pro at the gun show,guy said it was a 3moa. Alot crisper and seemed easier to pick up. I like the aimpoints, except the price/availability. Better to cry once than cry twice buying a cheaper one.

Working on loads now. Ive got the Zero 125's,federal primers but 231 powder. I'm a newbie at reloading so its slow and steady right now. Thanks again for the replies, Matt

231 is a good powder, around 5,5 grains should be about right with the 125 jhp's. The Aimpoint seems huge when you first put it on but you can set the scope to the rear and use the weight to balance the gun over the trigger quard. Balancing the gun can make it feel like a lighter gun. I would get a Big Butt grip without finger grooves as well. I think most shooters use a 4 moa dot but a 3 moa would be good as well.

Edited by toothguy

After playing with a few this week, it seems the auto dimming is messing with me. In bright light and moved forward its easy to find. Dim light my eye doesnt pick it up. I tried a Bushnell trs25 mini tonight a buddy gave me.Easy to find but not sure about durabillity.After I checkout Matts cmore I'll make a decision. I like the aimpoint best so far,but light on time and $. Thanks for all the input!

Try an Ultra-Dot Match Dot. 2, 4, 6, 8 moa dot in one scope.

Toolguy has one of those, great scope for the money.

http://ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_005.htm

I have been very happy with ultradots since 2004. I have a couple of the one inch tubes with 4 MOA dot for bullseye. They are easy to see unless the sun is directly behind you, then they wash out. I have found that to be true with the aimpoint close combat optic on my work rifle too. Back to the ultra dot. My 1 inch ultradots are slide mounted on 45 ACP pistols and have held up well.

I just bought a Matchdot 30mm for my open Bianchi revolver. I suspect it will work out fine. I do like the larger dots. They seem to reduce the perception of dot movement. I think I will like the 2,4,6,8 option over time.

-John

I have an aimpoint T1 and an old ultra dot 1" 4moa, both are great sights. finding the dot is something to practice.

the grip is also important, on my open revolver (modified model 10) I use a K'nill grip (the bianchi model) on my sguare butt PPC gun I use the rubber hogue monogrip and remove the fingergrooves + I round the back corner. you won't win a beauty contest with it but it is functional. It's like the jerry miculek grip in rubber.

gr T

• 2 weeks later...

Well the winner is Aimpoint pro with 2 moa dot. It was in stock,got a good deal and sits nice and low with a mount a buddy gave me.Thanks for all the help guys!

I couldn't make pf with the 125 and 231, 5.5 showed too much in all the manuals for .38 special. Are you all running them that hot? I'm new to reloading so I figured I'd ask before I went any further.Thanks again,Matt

Well the winner is Aimpoint pro with 2 moa dot. It was in stock,got a good deal and sits nice and low with a mount a buddy gave me.Thanks for all the help guys!

I couldn't make pf with the 125 and 231, 5.5 showed too much in all the manuals for .38 special. Are you all running them that hot? I'm new to reloading so I figured I'd ask before I went any further.Thanks again,Matt

http://data.hodgdon....tridge_load.asp HP-38 = 231

The Hogdon site lists a 125jhp, 5.3 grain load at 1018, it's a 38 +p load. For a 6'' barrel I needed 5.5 to make about that and get the best accuracy from my barrel. Using your N frame won't be a problem because it's rated for much higher 357 pressures. You will need to tweek that ballpark load to get the best accuracy at 50yrds. If you don't have a chrono, when you find the best accuracy try to find someone with one to check the load.

Edited by toothguy