Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy 9mm vs .40 for minor PF

IDescribe

I tried 147 lead Bear Creeks in my CZ Shadow and ran into tumbling problems. So I tried 170 Bear Creeks sized @ .356 (the bullet is almost as long as the empty case). 2.7 gr of Universal @ 1.125. Shoots very soft and its accurate in MY gun. It shoots so soft other shooters wanted to know if they had to tape the dents in the target! In my CZ its about a 133 power factor. Whats really comforting is the steel goes down nicely. I've had others shoot this load in my gun and they are surprised. I've been using this load for the past year without any problems. Others have used it their 1911 9mm's without problems too. So far its been used in four CZ's, three 1911 9mm's and one Glock 17 and no problems with tumbling or accuracy.

For what it's worth...

I've loaded 95, 100, 115, 124, and 130 gr in 9mm. All stabilized. All felt very similar, so I load for accuracy and cost (124 gr Montana gold JHP or 130 gr Berry's)

In the same gun, I do a barrel swap on my M&P Pro 40, and shoot a 180 gr Bear creek moly lead with TrailBoss or WST for 722 fps. THAT is a bunny fart!

• 11 months later...

Bumping this old fred up a little bit....

:blush:

Need some help, wanting to try a 158gr. casted bullet from a .358" Lee mold with TL (tumble lube) driving bands.

Will it be possible to size down the .358" to .356" with this sort of bullet without having any probs (because of flattening the bands a little)?

Did anybody try this?