Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 USPSA Handgun Rules?

Bunchies95

Does anyone know what the status of the new rule book is? I recall one thread where Troy said the BoD was moving slow to approve them.

I know changes have been made, but I don't want to start enforcing them until the rulebook has been officially published.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck posted this in another thread. The rules have been in affect since 1/1.

The rule was voted on on 2011 to go into effect in January. The rule was posted in the BOD meeting minutes and in Front Sight. It is in effect now. I don't really know where the questions about this are coming from. We don't publish a new rule book every time a rule is changed. If someone needs verification point them to the Dec, 2011 BOD minutes that show the revised Appendices for Lim and Lim 10. ...

That was a specific statement about some specific rules. While it stands for the L10/Lim appendix rule changes and the magnetic mag holders, there are a handful of new rules that have been proposed for the 2013 rule book that it wouldn't apply to. Just don't want to add any confusion.

There haven't been any changes other than those. At least not that I recall off the top of my head. There is a new rule book we are working on but it's barely been discussed by the BOD. I seriously doubt it will be voted on until the June BOD meeting and probably won't go into effect until 2014. But that's just my opinion on the time frame.

That's what I thought also Chuck. Can't see why an entire new book is being asked for for just the changes to the appendix. I thought i missed entirely nee rules somewhere.

Maybe I should spend more time in the rules forum :)

The confusion is probably coming because the plan WAS to have a new rule book by Jan 2013. There is a draft book that we were planning to vote on but there were some others discussions that took precedence. At this point, again in my opinion, I'd rather take a bit more time to go over any potential rule changes.

It's not the last. It's back in 2011. Effective Jan 1 2013. John talks about it in the new issue if Front Sight.

Chuck, it is my understanding from reading they bylaws that any rule changes must be published in Front Sight 3 months before they take effect. I hadn't received my latest Front Sight at the time of posting this topic, but wouldn't the changes take effect in April rather than Jan 1? Or since it was posted in the BoD meeting minutes, that is sufficient enough? I'm not trying to jump on you by bringing up the bylaws, just trying to get some clarification.

3.1 Direction:

In order to accomplish its stated purposes the corporation shall

i.) set forth and publish rules and guidelines for the conduct of practical shooting contests,

ii.) establish a system for classifying competitors within various classes of abilities,

iii.) establish and publish the corporate newsletter, defined herein as Front Sight Magazine

16.2 Competition Equipment Rules Modifications:

Changes to U.S. Division rules affecting personal competition equipment shall be adopted for a specific

Division no more frequently than every two years except as may be required to comply with federal laws.

Those changes must be published in the corporate newsletter three months prior to effective date.

The confusion is probably coming because the plan WAS to have a new rule book by Jan 2013. There is a draft book that we were planning to vote on but there were some others discussions that took precedence. At this point, again in my opinion, I'd rather take a bit more time to go over any potential rule changes.

I think a new rule book that takes into account the various DNROI Rulings over the years is a good idea. I understand that there are other priorities, and this isn't one of the high ones. It is rather tedious as an RO having to explain to some shooters that the rulebook isn't entirely the rules, that some clarifications/changes are posted on the website. I do hope it becomes a priority for the 2014 shooting season.

Take a quick look at the year I said the changes were approved. 2011. They were announced for over a year before taking effect. They've been announced for so long some people forgot.

Wow! I guess my memory is fading a lot faster than I thought.

I guess I sorta see the issue here.

With the new rules not publicly posted anywhere it could lead to some confusion. I for one don't get front sight so I don't know what was or wasn't said. So as an RO what am I to go by - the rules in the rule book - or take someone's word that John wrote an article in front sight that I haven't actually seen for myself.

Maybe at least a website update with the changes to the appendix would suffice. All members have access to the website. Not all of us get front sight.

I realize the bylaws say that rules are official when voted in by the Board and published in Front Sight. From a practical standpoint, the vast majority of the RO's, CRO's and DRL's look at the rulebook and the published rulings on the USPSA web site. The Front Sight archive stops at 2010, so that isn't really a valid reference source (I know some people keep back issues, but I don't.) Would it be that out of line for Amidon to issue a ruling that says "here is the new appenix D for affected divisions?"

It is hard to claim that the current process hasn't caused any confusion, based on the number of threads regarding the 2013 rules.

I did a very brief survey of the BOD minutes since the blue book came out, and I didn't see a single instance where a rule change was implemented where it wasn't followed by a ruling on the USPSA web site. (Like I said, it was very brief. I could have easily missed something along the way.)

John didn't write an article. Robin Williams did. I even have a letter to the editor following up on his article. :)

This guY?

Robin+Williams+png.png

If he is writing articles for Front Sight maybe I need to subscribe again!!!

ok back on topic :-)

Chuck/Kyle/Linda/Kim/et al....

If this sounds like I'm at least a little frustrated...it's meant to.

Other than the link that offers a live chat option (for what, BTW?), and the stunning yellow banner announcing that the office will be closed, what possible priorities could our new webmaster have that are more important than having a single, comprehensive, cohesive reference page to all rules in effect at any given moment?

We put all this effort, time and money into the premier organization for training officials for shooting matches, NROI, but don't make the tools easily and readily available for those same officials to go out with a single reference with which to officiate.

I'm tired of carrying a 3-ring binder with printed copies of all this information so I can attempt to explain to a competitor customer what they've just run up against (yeah, I do this).

I'm pretty sure someone up there has a copy of Adobe writer or something equivalent. Just take a minute or an hour or a week and compile one document with all of the current rules and rulings. Put it on the website as a stop-gap, and then go do whatever needs to be done for next year's version.

Live in the now...

Chuck/Kyle/Linda/Kim/et al....

If this sounds like I'm at least a little frustrated...it's meant to.

Other than the link that offers a live chat option (for what, BTW?), and the stunning yellow banner announcing that the office will be closed, what possible priorities could our new webmaster have that are more important than having a single, comprehensive, cohesive reference page to all rules in effect at any given moment?

We put all this effort, time and money into the premier organization for training officials for shooting matches, NROI, but don't make the tools easily and readily available for those same officials to go out with a single reference with which to officiate.

I'm tired of carrying a 3-ring binder with printed copies of all this information so I can attempt to explain to a competitor customer what they've just run up against (yeah, I do this).

I'm pretty sure someone up there has a copy of Adobe writer or something equivalent. Just take a minute or an hour or a week and compile one document with all of the current rules and rulings. Put it on the website as a stop-gap, and then go do whatever needs to be done for next year's version.

Live in the now...

And while that's being put together, put the rulings in order by rule number -- so it's a quick check of Section 10.5 in the additional info document, if I'm looking at Section 10.5 rules in the rulebook.....