Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Shadow -Left handed technique

eric4069

Left handed shooter here looking at maybe getting a SP01 Shadow Custom for USPSA Production.

I am wondering how convenient or inconvenient left handed shooters find it to release the slide after a slide lock reload with this pistol. I am used to my M&P Pro which has ambidextrous slide release levers. After a slide lock reload with the M&P I use my weak hand thumb to manipulate the slide release.

What technique do left handed shooters find best for releasing the slide on an SP01 Shadow?

Thanks

Eric

Yeah, the slide normally slings forward when you seat the mag. If not just reach up under the trigger guard with the fingers of your right hand and swipe down. You hand is then right there to reacquire the grip. Quick and easy.

Some have already touched on this. My Sp01 if I seat a mag with the slide locked back gentlely, the slide remains locked back. If I seat the mag like I would in during a stage with a slide lock, the slide is released about 9.5 out of 10 times.

Pretty sure the ambi from a 85 combat would work.

Something else I find funny is how many people post about relying on the auto forward. Then they follow it up with BUT if it doesn't just do X. I've never been one to try and ram my mags through the top of the gun so if my gun auto forwards its a surprise. What happens when you bump the gun wrong and it auto forwards early minus a round...click. Seen it a ton of times with all kinds if guns.

Hell, after shooting Open and Limited for so long I am still kind of surprised to see the slide lock back. Empty with those always meant racking the slide after inserting the mag. Releasing the slide seems easy in comparison. I never hammer it in with intent but if it goes it goes, otherwise I just swipe the release. Still less time than running my Open gun dry.

Funny you should ask! ;) I saw a lefty shooter yesterday with a brand new CZC Shadow and he had an ambi slide stop installed on his gun @ CZC. Also they reversed his mag catch, too. You could call and ask.

+1. I just got off the phone with a friend asking me about my CZ 75 Shadow. CZC assured him that installing the 85C ambi slide stop was possible.

+1. I just got off the phone with a friend asking me about my CZ 75 Shadow. CZC assured him that installing the 85C ambi slide stop was possible.

that sounds like an interesting option.

As a Production shooter, it appears to me in the rule book that this would be Production legal under Appendix D4, 21.6

"Exchange of minor external components"

"offered on another approved gun from same manufacture... may only be replaced with OEM parts......slide stops"

anyone disagree??

Eric