Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Tornado

Skywalker

This weekend I brought the family to Gardaland, a big amusements park near Garda's lake (hey Travis, since you're still stuck in Italy you might enjoy a visit down there...).

Now, you see, with a kid of 5, there isn't much you can do all the day, except than having some train rides and a long halt at Fantasy Kingdom...

At around 5 p.m. I was having enough and, with permission of wife (of course... :P ), I left them for some serious adult fun (not the kind you might think of, anyway).

I headed to the Blue Tornado:

3-5-2.jpg

It's an inverted rollercoaster, not so high (40 m), but extremely intense, since in a 120 seconds ride you score some pretty high gs: up to 4.5 g.

I've never experienced flying on a hi-performance aircraft (even if upon winning of the lottery, a trip to Russia to have a 1hr-fly on some MiG is high on my to-do list), but I can guess it's the closest thing to flyin' on that sort of planes I can get on the ground....

It was a truly incredible experience: my neck muscles are still a bit sore from that, and I left it with an incredible sensation of feeling well after that. :)

Wow !

It reminds me of a trip at Euro Disney, near Paris few years ago.

The "Space mountain" was not active yet, so we get to the roller coaster.

First, it seems a nice and gentle one, until it's your turn to go and then you realize that it's a serious one !

You can't get back because there are hundreds of people behind you, pushing to go inside. And they all felt the way I did when they came closer to the start :D .

At the end, there is double looping, and my father reacted fast enough to not meet his camera lense with in nose :lol:

What a blast :D

Rollercoasters rule! When I lived in Michigan we would go to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio every year. It is still probably the best park in the US from a rollercoaster perspective. The great thing is they keep adding new rides, so if they don't have the absolute biggest and baddest, they have something close. I am old enough to remember when the Blue Streak was the biggest coaster in the park, if that tells you Ohio boys anything!

• 5 months later...

I love roller coasters!!!! When I was a kid, we stayed w/ my dad every summer in Cincinnati, OH. King's Island is right up the road in Mason, and we were there a bunch. They always had good coasters - one of them held three world records for a while (longest, fastest, highest first hill).

Merlin, where's that "heart stopper" at??? :) The ride operator needs to respond to our "Rate your driving" thread!!!!

Once during my youth, I worked for Carowind's Amusement Park, one of King's Island's sister park, located just outside of Charlotte, NC. On one of those days when the park is operating for the amusement of the workers and the gates are closed to the public we decided to do a marathon ride on the old White Lightning.

White Lightning was a simple rollercoaster. The train was launched from the station, went thru the loop, up the hill, gravity pulled it backwards thru the loop, and then up the slow down hill behind the station. Simple. Well, after 36 non-stop rides (most with the train never stopping in the station, just getting a boost) we finally stopped and got off. Standing up was quite a trick as the ground wanted to keep moving!

I think the ride that made the girl soil her "fun zone" is Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio (that would be Lake Erie in the background...along with that old wooden coaster that John is talking about).

Let me put my tour-guide hat on.... :D:D

If you like shooting...and amusement parks...and had a weeks vacation to burn this summer (June)...Ohio might just be the place to be.

Shoot the (Level III) Ohio Section match on one weekend, located just south of Columbus, Ohio (Circleville). During the week, hit King's Island near Cincinnati...then, Cedar Point, west of Cleveland...while you are up on/by Lake Erie take a trip out to Put-in-Bay...get on the winery tours...charter a fishing boat. Then, the next weekend, pop over to the East Huntington Range (south of Pittsburgh, PA) to shoot the Area 8 match.

I think the ride that made the girl soil her "fun zone" is Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio (that would be Lake Erie in the background...along with that old wooden coaster that John is talking about).

Flex is correct. The picture is Top Thrill. I can't confirm, however, that the leaky girl just came off that ride. ;)

-Chet

Flex is correct. The picture is Top Thrill. I can't confirm, however, that the leaky girl just came off that ride. ;)

-Chet

Hard to tell if the Leaker shot was taken at the same time and place - looks like it was???

Great vacation idea Flex. I might skip King's Island, though it might not be bad during the week.

The Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point is defintely a rush. I think if you go to their website you can do a simulated ride.

Going up was a trip, coming down was more than breathtaking.