Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammunition on barrels

Graham Smith

We are looking at a stage design and trying to come up with the proper wording. This has probably been covered but it's not something that's easy to search for.

The stage will have two barrels in the shooting area. Start is with gun loaded and holstered and all remaining ammunition staged on the two barrels.

The current description reads: "Handgun is loaded and holstered as per ready condition in rule 8.1.1 and 8.1.2. All reloads staged on barrels."

I'm not certain about the phrase "reloads staged". What say the experts and match lawyers?

This is kind of an experiment and we are still discussing this.

The stage is tentatively named "What About Revolvers?" so we are aware of the fact that if we specify that the shooter has to reload "from the barrel", then we could be creating an issue for revolvers. But the way the stage is laid out, it shouldn't pose a very large problem.

But, as this is something a bit new for this club, my tendency is to err on the side of caution and let the shooters put mags in pouches if they want. With the possible exception of revolver, I really don't think it is going give anyone an advantage either way.

I like giving the shooters options. Some may want to stuff mags in their pouches, others may want to grab mags off the barrels. As long as the mags (or moon clips) are where they belong when the buzzer goes off, who cares. The only possible problem would be if a SS or production guy stuck a mag in a pocket forward of his hipbone.

I like giving the shooters options. Some may want to stuff mags in their pouches, others may want to grab mags off the barrels. As long as the mags (or moon clips) are where they belong when the buzzer goes off, who cares. The only possible problem would be if a SS or production guy stuck a mag in a pocket forward of his hipbone.

That's kind of my feeling about it. Freestyle is as freestyle does.

Define the barrels to be used in the Stage Drawing as "B1" and "B2".

In the start position write "Standing inside shooting area with heels touching X's and hands relaxed at sides. Handgun is loaded and holstered as per rule 8.1. All remaining loading devices must be placed on Barrel or Barrels (B1 & B2)."

• 5 weeks later...

Define the barrels to be used in the Stage Drawing as "B1" and "B2".

In the start position write "Standing inside shooting area with heels touching X's and hands relaxed at sides. Handgun is loaded and holstered as per rule 8.1. All remaining loading devices must be placed on Barrel or Barrels (B1 & B2)."

+ 1 on this. We ran a stage a couple of years ago, stage description said "all remaining magazines" and not all remaining ammo or loading devices. Well, our two revolver guys were happy as could be because they didn't have mags. However, in the spirit, they did put their moon clips up on the barrels.