Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Job

JAB

If you are comfortable with the work, try it yourself with the existing parts. 19 pound hammer spring and knocking the burrs of the ignition parts certainly won't hurt. You don't need specialized tools to do that level of work.

Your gunsmith might replace parts anyway depending on the metallurgy and how the holes are drilled in the frame. Tolerance stacking can cause real problems with the 1911.

-John

II would let a smith work on it for the best trigger. I have had a friend if mine do all my triggers at a crisp 2 pounds or less. He usually uses extreme engineering parts in alot if them he does and was getting like 40 bucks for the regular rate

Getting a good, light and reliable trigger on a 1911 is definitely not a beginner job. And it's almost impossible to do without the proper tools. Switching to lighter springs will get you a lighter pull, but most likely it will feel like mush, instead of clean and crisp. It can also be unreliable if you go down too far in spring weight. Drop in parts typically do provide some improvement, but usually require some work to get just right. Some more than others. Unless you intend to do more of these in the future, you're better off paying someone to do it.

Getting a good, light and reliable trigger on a 1911 is definitely not a beginner job. And it's almost impossible to do without the proper tools. Switching to lighter springs will get you a lighter pull, but most likely it will feel like mush, instead of clean and crisp. It can also be unreliable if you go down too far in spring weight. Drop in parts typically do provide some improvement, but usually require some work to get just right. Some more than others. Unless you intend to do more of these in the future, you're better off paying someone to do it.

This is true. If the correct angles are not maintained, and correct step height on the hammer hooks you end up with an unsafe trigger. In my experience even the pre-polished sears and hammers need additional work to get a really good trigger on a 1911 or 2011 pistol. For a better trigger have a smith do the job, or if you can find one that will do it have one teach you.