Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHL

DJPoLo

Contgratulations! Not only the ability to carry, but the freedom from the stupid NICS check ;)

Speaking with my TX CHL instructor hat on, I'd recommend next getting an out-of-state Florida permit to go with your spiffy Texas permit. TX is good in 8 states, FL is good in 28...

Alex

I just passed my TX CHL recently also. Not a really tuff course. I qualified with my open blaster. Talk about funny looks from the other students :P . Waiting for all paper work to be final. TXAG

Interesting. We were told that we couldn't shoot the test with optics (according to KR Training). :huh:

So we bought a Glock just for the test. As good an excuse as any to buy a new gun! :P

-Chet

Only thing I was told during class time was that factory ammo had to be used. Nothing about optics was mentioned. <_< TXAG. I was going to shoot my G35 but just put a tungsten rod and spring in and hadn't checked it for reliability. I just had to be different. :lol: TXAG

Liota and I are TX CHL instructors, with current certification and everything.

DPS made us use "factory" ammo (mmm...handloads in a factory box...umm...I mean... :lol: ) when we were running the instructor test in Austin (same test as for the CHL, but with both revolver and autoloader, 90% minimum). They also test all the safeties on a gun (they were quite confused by the concept of a DAO 625 with a hammer spur,BTW). However, that was a range-specific thing and NOT in the law.

I (rather pointedly) asked the DPS folks if I could use a dot-sight gun for the test, and while the "rangemaster" said that he would prefer if you used an actual carry-type gun, there was NOTHING in the law that says you can't use whatever you want...provided it fits the action type and minimum caliber.

And I get all the newsletters, so I would know if it changed. DJPoLo, it sounds like your local shop wanted to sell some iron sighted guns. Cute.

BTW, at my last "Five Dollar, Ten hour (of which three are spent on IPSC stages) CHL Class", I had a A shooter and a M shooter run the shooting test from the holster, none of that "point at the target before the buzzer" stuff. The M was actually loading his magazine for the long range portion and told me to go ahead and start. At the buzzer, he loaded so fast his little fingers caught on fire...shot the required rounds (all in the "A" zone, naturally), and still had enough time to unload and show clear before the par time ran out.

My hero :)

Alex

I'm up here in Massachusetts, and I find this stuff about the TX CHL test interesting. MA instituted a mandatory training requirement a few years ago, but there is no specific range test - you just need to take one of the courses on the list from a "state certified instructor." State certification was easy (I mailed in a copy of my NRA instructor certificate and $50), although I failed at getting myself listed instructor #1 - I did manage to get instructor certificate 007 (actually, BFS007, but they all start with BFS, so I feel some justification refering to it simply as 007). It was considerably more difficult getting a new course added to the "state list", but I finally had a new course approved, and have the paperwork to prove it. The course is "USPSA Safe Handgun Competitor, MA Edition". ("MA Edition" means we explain MA law as well). So, MA residents can prepare for their first USPSA match and for their carry license at the same time. (and no, I don't pretend the USPSA course teaches tactics).

Although we can't buy all makes of handguns in MA (due to two sets of requiements, one "double secret" where they will not let a dealer know in advance if a gun complies), our licenses (if issued without a restrictive endorsement) don't have anywhere near the number excusions as the rather extensive TX list ("schools" are the only chl invalid place listed in MA state law); nor do we have any concept resembling a 30.06 sign - business can post anything they want, but that does not turn carry into a crime. The downside is licensing is discretionary, which means anywhere from "easy" to "damn near impossible" to get a unrestricted carry license.

All of the New England states issue carry permits (except VT where none is needed), and all do by mail except for RI. The biggest problem with RI is the range test - any NRA or police instructor can give the test - the problem is finding the "Army L" target which no one seems to carry since the bullseye is too large to be useful.

DJPoLo, it sounds like your local shop wanted to sell some iron sighted guns. Cute.

In their defense, the school where we took the CHL test and the business from which we bought the Glock are not related in any way. In fact, the CHL school does not sell any guns (that I know of).

We would have bought the Glock anyway as a home defense pistol and Production Division competition gun.

It just would have been much more convenient to shoot our open blasters for the range test. But no worries, we passed regardless (and for the record, we shot handloads in the Glock and the P35). :ph34r:

-Chet

Congrats on the new permit.

True story: Having always lived in "right-impaired" states & the District (California, Maryland & D.C.) I was stoked the day in 2000 when my Virginia permit arrived. I decided to take my 1st stroll armed even though it was a bright Sunday morning in an upscale neighborhood (Old Town Alexandria in liberal N. VA). No sooner had I sat down for coffee in local cafe than a white mini-van pulled up followed by a local news van; about 6 women and 1 elderly man emerged from the minivan wearing:

MILLION MOM MARCH t-shirts!!!

I am not a bad tempered person, but I confess, my blood started to boil. This was a test from God I thought; a test of restraint & responsibility. After a brief & civilized exchange of viewpoints, we went our seperate ways with none of them any wiser to my exercise of CCW rights. I have actually become far more aware of civic responsibilities since I started to carry. I would even argue that CCW holders are generally more aware of their civic responsibilities & behavior than the average citizen.

Speaking with my TX CHL instructor hat on, I'd recommend next getting an out-of-state Florida permit to go with your spiffy Texas permit. TX is good in 8 states, FL is good in 28...

Alex,

What can be used as "training documentation" for the Florida CWL application? Is a copy of your TX CHL enough?

-Chet

Nope. The requirements are pretty explicit in the application, though.

Military discharge papers work, anything with "NRA" on it (either training with the counselor's number on it, or a classification card), hunter's safety classes from most states, etc.

Carlos--

Maybe that was just one of those magical moments in life where your awareness was spiked nicely by an event and launched your 'carry' status officially and in a flash.

I was carrying in the car one day when I wanted to go take some routine scenic pictures in a certain park but found out that the Mothers Making Madness bunch was going to meet there. With a tendency to find my blood boiling easily over such silliness, I pretty much decided to postpone the photoshoot at that point. I really, really didn't want to "get into it" with them that day... at all.

If those creepy liars were around here, I would choose that day and time to carry openly. Sometimes a political message needs to be sent. I would not confront them or even speak or respond to them beyond a smile and "Hi," but I definitely would not allow them to deter me from my daily routine.