Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone worn out a JP aluminum carrier?

TXMXRACER

I have a JP aluminum carrier and the bolt just flops around inside the carrier--Put new gas rings on the bolt and it does the same thing. I tried different bolts in the carrier and they are all the same. None of my other carriers are this loose.

The rifle quit locking back on the last round so I started checking things and this is the only thing I could find to cause it.

Any other thoughts or has anyone actually seen this before?

shane

Yes I have. i started to have numerous failures to eject and last round lock backs two years ago. This was with the gas screw backed way out. The carrier showed some external wear but didn't look excessive. I called JP and they asked for the round count. I said about 2 K and was told thats about what they were good for. Thats obviously why they are not made any more.

maybe a talented machinist could sleeve it like a racing engine/diesel block ? a threaded steel insert wouldn't add much weight or maybe even just a sleeve with the meanest lock-tite retaining compound and a pin ?

Just a thought as parts are scarce these days and might be something to look into

Good Luck if you try

John

It's a race part, they don't last long. They're meant to go fast and be replaced often. People not realizing that is probably why JP quit making them. Just like the NASCAR boys rebuilding their engines after every race. Those pistons look fine, but they throw them away, along with a lot of other expensive parts.

The idea of a thin sleeve might just be the ticket, if you want to save it.

I have a JP aluminum carrier and the bolt just flops around inside the carrier--Put new gas rings on the bolt and it does the same thing. I tried different bolts in the carrier and they are all the same. None of my other carriers are this loose.

The rifle quit locking back on the last round so I started checking things and this is the only thing I could find to cause it.

Any other thoughts or has anyone actually seen this before?

shane

Shane,

That's what bit me at the RM3G last year - the aluminmum bolt carrier and non-enhanced bolt died at that match. I replaced both parts and the rifle ran like a charm.

maybe a talented machinist could sleeve it like a racing engine/diesel block ? a threaded steel insert wouldn't add much weight or maybe even just a sleeve with the meanest lock-tite retaining compound and a pin ?

Just a thought as parts are scarce these days and might be something to look into

Good Luck if you try

John

Solid idea!

I ran one back in the day....got about 8K thru it, and then it turned into a single shot at a match. I run a SS one now.

Actually.......had though about gettting the bore Nicasil coated like they do for aluminum cylinders, just never got a round to it.

Tim