Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Amateur Series

So.... I was contemplating signing up for this but had a few questions or needed some opinions. I'm already planning on the Ironman and the NWMGC in Bend and I was contemplating trying to make it to Vegas for the USPSA 3 gun. But before I throw down the benjamins I was going to ask and see if some of the folks who shot amateur series last year found it to be worthwhile? And, will 2 of the major events be enough or do I need more? My skill level being "fair to middlin'" taken into account.

Thanks for any help.

Gordon

I think the only reason to sign up for the amature series is if you think you can win it. 2 events won't be enough to be competative. The 2012 winner averaged about 82% for his 3 matches. I considered myself an intermediate shooter before last year, and now realize I'm still a beginner. I've signed up for semi-pro this year, with no chance to be near the top, but its nice to see where you stand in comparison to some of the best out there.

Edited by stein

I haven't read the amateur rules for 2013. Are u still allowed to accumulate points in any division?

I think so. Amateur will be the only place open to us stubborn enough to not shoot TO this year.

If I can just figure out what my third match will be I might sign up... :)

I think the only reason to sign up for the amature series is if you think you can win it. 2 events won't be enough to be competative. The 2012 winner averaged about 82% for his 3 matches. I considered myself an intermediate shooter before last year, and now realize I'm still a beginner. I've signed up for semi-pro this year, with no chance to be near the top, but its nice to see where you stand in comparison to some of the best out there.

You know, there is something about finding out where you stack up to the world. I have heard since posting this originally that to be competitive in the series you have to shoot OTHER than T/O. I shoot T/O for now until I can finish my gear for HM

You know, there is something about finding out where you stack up to the world. I have heard since posting this originally that to be competitive in the series you have to shoot OTHER than T/O. I shoot T/O for now until I can finish my gear for HM

That's pretty much what the amateur series is for. The semi pro series does the same thing but there is stiffer competition because its the Road to the pro series.

If you want to see how you stack up against the top, shoot a major match and see how your scores compares, you don't need to enter any series to do that. If you think you are at the top of the Semi-Pros or Amatuers, then you can sign up for a 3GN series and shoot for fabulous prizes, and fame and maybe get on TV next to Jesse. :)

If you want to see how you stack up against the top, shoot a major match and see how your scores compares, you don't need to enter any series to do that. If you think you are at the top of the Semi-Pros or Amatuers, then you can sign up for a 3GN series and shoot for fabulous prizes, and fame and maybe get on TV next to Jesse. :)

At any major match you only have a handful of the top anybody there. So when u finish top 20 at Ozark your probably top 75 overall. Not the best measuring stick from my perspective.

3 Gun Nation suffers from the same issue but its the closest thing we have to and a classification/ranking system at this point.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

At any major match you only have a handful of the top anybody there. So when u finish top 20 at Ozark your probably top 75 overall. Not the best measuring stick from my perspective.

Totally disagree. If Horner wins the match and I shoot 70% of Horner, I know where I am. I don't care if that 70% got me 2nd or 102nd, it is still measuring against one of the top shooters. Sure, if you win and I am 70%, then I might have to take off 10% to 20% and realize that was only a 50 to 60% match. :roflol:

Totally disagree. If Horner wins the match and I shoot 70% of Horner, I know where I am. I don't care if that 70% got me 2nd or 102nd, it is still measuring against one of the top shooters. Sure, if you win and I am 70%, then I might have to take off 10% to 20% and realize that was only a 50 to 60% match. :roflol:

Horner doesn't shoot every match. Rumor has it he is going to shoot a lot less majors this year too. Now what?

Truth is compare your score to Danny, Tyler, Greg,taren or kalani or the other top guys and you know how you stack up. On any given day anyone of them could win. The series is nice but any major match is gonna have at least one of the top guys so you can tell how you did.

Truth is compare your score to Danny, Tyler, Greg,taren or kalani or the other top guys and you know how you stack up. On any given day anyone of them could win. The series is nice but any major match is gonna have at least one of the top guys so you can tell how you did.

Yep!

If I remember right, the top finishers in AM last year would have finished around 55-60th place had they shot Pro.

Scores are no longer on the site so I can't confirm. Just going on memory (which seems to fade a lot lately).

Craig