Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting together a rimfire optics gun and need some advive

Nimitz

I'm looking to get a Buck Mark for use in the rimfire optics division and am wondering if there any real difference (other than the obvious ones listed by Browning) for the following models:

Buck Mark Plus Stainless Black Laminated UDX

Buck Mark Standard Stainless URX

Buck Mark Stainless Camper

Buck Mark Camper Stainless UFX

hmmm, appreciate the oponions but I've already decided on a Buck Mark, just trying to understand if there's any real difference between the various models ... I know trigger jobs are easier to do on Buck Marks and as you said, the Rugers are more difficult to field strip. The Buck Mark feels much better in my hnads as well ...

The buckmark is a great gun for rimfire steel shooting as is the 22/45. Many prefer the older model buckmarks over the newer U_X models though. One of the complaints on the new models is the one piece grips. They are a lot harder to reinstall while keeping all the parts in place. One thing to keep in mind for rimfire steel, lighter is better. I think you will be happy either way, buckmark or Ruger but I recommend the light weight versions.

For optics i highly recommend a Cmore on a Bearcave 90 degree mount. The Bearcave mount gets the optic as close to the bore as possible (if fact you can see the iron sights on a Ruger through the Cmore). The mount is available from Tim Ubl at TACCOM3G.

Good shooting

Dwight

thx, I've pretty much decided on a C-more as I've used them before. I was also considering the trail-lite barrel & comp from Tactical Solutions.

Besides the grips being differnt do you know what the difference between the Standrad Stainless URX & the Plus Stainless UDX Buck Marks is?

before I buy I'll be trying out both the UFX and the finger groove models to see which fits better. I also understand that if you go with the UFX you can change out the grips which come with it which I understand are quite heavy since they have steel inside them. I've decided on the tact solutioins trail-lite barrel with a comp made by a local custom gunshop

• 3 weeks later...

Both my wife and I shoot Steel Challenge with our buckmarks. Mine is a pre 2000 Bullseye Target, and hers is a standard Camper. Hers I did the Heggis flip to get about a 3lb trigger pull. We have C-More railways with 6moa dots, Allchin mounts, and Tac-Sol barrels (mine 5 1/4 hers 7 1/4)

They work great! The ilghter barrels are a great option shooting steel.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

picked up a SS Camper on-line last week for $350. Owner claimed it was used but it doesn't have a mark on it & looks like it's never been fired. came with its case, picatanny rail & 2 mags. Once I assemby the tac sol barrel, custom comp, C-more & replacement grips I'll post some pics ...

since you went with the red barrels why didn't you get the red C-more & red replacement grips??

She wanted the red barrel, but did not like the red grips. Me, I don't really care to colol match my gun. Some do look good, but it's not for me. I'm looking at some wood grain grips for mine.

Edited by Bansheex

when I told my part-time instructor I'd be getting a blue C-more to match the barrel & grips he said to just get a black one, otherwise it would be too distracting ... I told him I wanted it to be distrating because it wouldn't bother me but might get others to focus more on my gun than their shooting ...

it was custom built here locally by my part-time coach who has his own gun fabrication/machine shop. I didn't like the TacSol comps as I was told all those holes tend to clog up easily ...

I designed and made the one's we are using. The shop where I was making them moved to Texas, so that put an end to that. We threaded the 7 1/4" barrel on my wife's gun for the comp.

Edited by Bansheex

I picked up the Buckmark UFX Pro in Stainless a month ago and I really glad I did. I was torn between the Ruger 22/45 and the Buckmark. The Buckmark's serial number is on the frame so changing the barrel out will not require a FFL. Ruger on the other hand has the SN on the barrel.

Shot a rimfire match this past weekend in 30-34 degree weather using CCI blazer 40 gr and it lit off every round, not a click in the bunch. I'm a happy camper.

that's why I live where most people go on vacation ...:)

also, my definition of 'cold' is very simple: when it's below 70 deg, it's COLD ....

since I will never be shooting a match in 45 deg temps there is no training value to doing it and when it's that cold I would not be very focused and just waste ammo so it was an easy decision not to go ...

• 2 weeks later...