Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell from the pic, are the scallops progressively shallow towards the rear of the gun?

If so I would draw a solid rectangle box in f360 with one side at your desired angle. Then draw your circles on that side in sketch mode and push/pull or extrude to progressively different depths. You could draw them individually or do a linear pattern. The key is to have a solid to work on, then begin a new sketch on the side you have angled.

Give that solid to the cam and do a 2d toolpath. It will change Z for each new level.

That's what I do. However the scallops are at a consistent angle across the surface. When I make the angle on the surface, the starting point for the cuts get deeper as well, plus it won't let me select the center. So I end up with this.

1d17e59d79a7dc167e4b33094d537d66.jpg

This was with a 10 degree angle. Using plane at an angle but you have to select a starting point so they end up deeper and deeper.. I guess if it was chucked at the same angle it wouldn't cut the material deeper would it? Even if the model shows it it's being shown ad a flat surface correct?

Sure that'd work, I have to fool the machine all the time. Usually to make up for my lack of cad/cam skill. I'm a hobbyist as well.

There may be a better way, but if it gets you the desired effect repeatedly then it's sure not the wrong way.

Still not sure why this isn't working for you, I'm gonna try it tomorrow just for fun.

Ya if you get it right awesome! Lol. Idk I did all the updated last night and I've been having issues ever since. It may just be a glitch. I can't believe it won't allow me to select the center circle to push/pull, due to the fact that it's not hanging off the existing surface. O well. Like when I had an IPhone... I always would wait a week to download the "latest and greatest " software update. Version 3.0 is great! 3 days later version 3.1 is ready and fixes the glitches from 3.0...

This is BobCAD. I did it in 2d. But it is prolly easier in 3d. I set the stock so it is at a 45° angle to the machine. Then I pick the 2 point farthest to the let in the x axis. Set them to drill .050 moved over .125 to the center point set it to drill .100 then moved over to the next set of point drilling the at .2 and increasing .100 every time I step in the x direction witch is the direction the 45 is in. Sorry if I'm not very good at explaining this.

Ok here is a good question. What kind of computer hardware ie processors, memory, graphics cards do yall use for all this designing and cad/cam software??

I use a dell. It has Intel correct i3 prosser, with integrated Intel HD graphics cs.

Idk if that's a good set up or not. This is my 1st laptop. Computers really really don't like me.

So I ended up getting it done like this. I know it isn't the pattern you had in the pic but technique should work.

Basically I made a 3d block with the top angled. Then offset a plane off the bottom face.

Sketch the circles or whatever on the new plane and push/pull them down to a consistent depth. It's weird but you the new plane I made got turned off after every extrude. I had to go over and click the light bulb for it so I could sketch on it again.

Then rotate the block around with move command so the top edge is now square to the origin, and clean up the block to make it square.

Really round about, but I had fun doing it.