Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What was the first hicap 1911 used in USPSA competition?

Krag

Wasn't USPSA then. IPSC USA.

The Para frames were definitely around in the middish 80's. John Dixon had one very early on. Made out of beryllium copper.

Jerry's gun was built by George Heuning as I remember, I'll ask him.

Jim Boland gun that Jim Zubiena 1st shot used P7 M13 mags.

P9's were in 89 I think. Doug won WS in Australia in 90 with scoped P9 in 9x21.

Georgino built one for DK and I had 2. Mine were first. George needs to tell you how they all came together.

Tommy Campbell was shooting prototype M59 in the 80, maybe earlier. 9 minor.

There's more....

I remember '92 I had just ordered a custom P9 9x21 because that's what you guys had been using. Then you all showed up at the '92 North Americans with the Caspian Hi caps....I was devastated...lol

I'm sorry! Those custom shop P9's were awesome. I fired the fastest 15 load 15 load 15 of my life with one of those. That they didn't hold up real well to tons of major was my only issue at the time. When we stopped importing them Springfield wanted me to shoot something else. I still have 2 of them...

The Caspians were nice but I only used those a couple seasons. Then I shot the McCormick/TRI/STi modular5 guns for a while before we made our own hi-cap frame.

The Para frames were definitely around in the middish 80's. John Dixon had one very early on. Made out of beryllium copper.

Georgino built one for DK and I had 2. Mine were first. George needs to tell you how they all came together.

There's more....

I remember '92 I had just ordered a custom P9 9x21 because that's what you guys had been using. Then you all showed up at the '92 North Americans with the Caspian Hi caps....I was devastated...lol

I'm sorry! Those custom shop P9's were awesome. I fired the fastest 15 load 15 load 15 of my life with one of those. That they didn't hold up real well to tons of major was my only issue at the time. When we stopped importing them Springfield wanted me to shoot something else. I still have 2 of them...

The Caspians were nice but I only used those a couple seasons. Then I shot the McCormick/TRI/STi modular5 guns for a while before we made our own hi-cap frame.

Rob uspsa is looking for a historian. :D

There's more....

I still shot the P9 for a few years and loved it, my only sub 4 second El Prez was shot with it. But as you say it didn't hold up to lots of major loads and it let me down in a number of major matches. I tried a Para for awhile, switched to a Caspian and then finally to the STI in '98 which I stuck with (with a few matches shot with an SVI in between) up until it finally cracked the slide after this years Area 2.....time to build a new one!

Since we are posting pics now...

P-9.jpg

This P9 had 80,000 rounds on it and only ever broke one slide stop pin. My gunsmith had welded up and recut the whole lower lockup of the barrel including the slot for the slide stop pin. In addition he altered it to run a modified 1911 guide rod so we could run any 1911 spring.

Give a man a couple of new knee's and look what happens....he is free to continue his reign as THE MAN by thinking up evil new ways to continue beating us...........

Show some Mercy Rob. At least let us think we can come close to you these days.........

Ok, now I am curious.........what are you building and why? If your opinion doesn't carry serious weight, then I don't know whose should compared to you. Pictures would also be nice.

What do the rules allow now? Is there a size limit? Build something like a high cap version of a Wilson LE in .40 without the ports and stuff the front sight right out to the end of the "comp"?

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Like the original Clark Pinmaster on a double stack frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this for sale, looks like one of the early full house Para Open guns turned out by Don Irvine here in Toronto area, notice it was originally set up with Bomars then drilled for an early Red Buff scope mount. Comp is one of Don's V6 comps (I had one on my P9, not a terribly good comp and we switched it out for a conventional 4 chamber later) I would guess this was built around 1990 but I'm checking. Judging by the look of it the frame is steel hard chromed, but I know Don also built one similar from an Aluminum frame. It's looking a little rough these days....ParaOpengun_zpsb3d75c53.jpg

Yeah, and holds the ambi safety in place, normally a job for the factory grips. If I remember correctly this frame was done before Para reshaped their frame from the original 2x4 shape to the current more rounded shape so the grip was shaved and the checkered (all hand checkering) which reduced the grip size quite a bit. There were (probably still are ) grip fillers you could buy now that do the same thing but fill in that whole groove from the safety down to the magwell.