Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

buying while waiting

fumbles

I won't have to wait as long for the magazines. I will get those pretty soon. I'd like to use the magazines in a gun that I buy and to use the belt and holster both guns. So do I buy all STI equipment or run SVI mags in STI (with some adjustments)? Or is some other option?

I'd list buying a used SVI as an option, but currently they are tough to find and selling high. I doubt I can post links to external websites sales, but I found a used SVI limited with 4 mags going for 5100.

Hi-Power Jack: I'm not the type to go for the easiest thing.

Ekujustice: Yep, I'm a follower.

Edited by fumbles

Just shoot SS as a USPSA division. The stage planning and number of reloads required for a typical stage will only improve your ability to shoot a 2011 in Limited. I am shooting a bunch of SS right now because i have started to get sloppy in my stage planning. It can be difficult to think about the most efficient way through a COF when you can shoot 10 targets before you need to reload. With SS I need to think about efficient movement, and if I can reload quickly in SS I will be that much quicker with a double stack magazine.

There are too many irons in the fire. I like the advice, but I want to work on drills, transitions, speed and having fun. I'm sure stage planning is critical to having a good run, but it is secondary.

Poppa bear, SS improves your planning and foresight, not ability as it is mostly skill. If thinking about stuff made you better; I'd have a chance. I only want to think of the my commands to the gun and their effects on my shots.

Edited by fumbles

Part of the reason for the SS recommendation is that a 2011 is a double stack 1911. Getting comfortable with the 1911 controls will only improve your ability to operate the SVI once it arrives. A big part of the game is muscle memory, so putting the safety on during Make Ready as well as its removal once the buzzer goes off will become ingrained into your subconscious before you get the SVI. Making your finger come off the trigger during reloads, and knowing how light it can be once your finger goes back into the trigger guard after the reload, or when you prepare to engage the next array, will only improve your ability to shoot the SVI when you get it.

Anyone that shoots a 2011 regularly will admit to times that the shot broke before they were fully on target. I have done it several times myself because a 3lb trigger is not even felt while you are in the middle of a COF. That is why we stress muzzle control, finger placement, and watching the 180. The 1911 will give you good practice.