Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Spray

EricW

I don't remember who clued me in to silicone spray, but it's the best doggone $3 I've ever spent at Napa. I've brought more mags back to life with that stuff. I rescued a bunch of my dying Orlites yesterday, so at least I have runnable 30 rounders until my DPMS mags show up. Works great on STI mags too.

Thank you to whomever shared the secret.

Guest Larry Cazes

Does this stuff leave a dry coating? I have just discovered the virtues of Flitz and a cloth wheel on my Dremel tool for polishing the feed lips and insides of my S_I mag tubes.

Fantastic stuff; I just give a quick spray on an old towl & dump in my loaded rounds (after tumbling off the OneShot w/ corncob) & my match ammo is ready to go. Every time my SV mags hit the dirt, they come apart, get a quick brushing & once over w/ the silicone cloth. Have not tried BoShield yet but Silicon is easier to find.

I always spray the inside of my mags, after cleaning, with silicone spray

Me too.

I treat match pistol ammo by laying it out on a silicone rag, giving it an aerosol shot and rolling the batch before boxing for the match.

I use stripper clips for rifle ammo and always spray and wipe them before loading mags.

I use dry graphite in Tec-Loader tubes instead because it doesn’t bind with dust and I wind up re-useing those without a cleaning break at matches.

--

Regards,

Yep, it's good stuff. Between stages during a major match, I'll scrub the tube with an Arredondo brush, then I keep a soft fiber brush liberally sprayed with silicone inside a ziplock in my range bag. That goes in the tube next. A pass with each brush and your mags are clean and slick as glass.

I'm talking about a $3 can of "Silicone spray" from Napa. (Yes, I *am* cheap.)

It leaves a very slight residue that doesn't seem to attract gunk. All I know is my Orlites are working again which makes me happy because now I have thrasher mags again.

Guest Larry Cazes

eric, I asked about residue because I used to do the same with break free for some Para mags that I used to shoot L10. They worked great for the first hundred rounds or so and then started to gum up due to trapped soot. Ill give the NAPA silicone spray a try in those truly ugly :D mags next time I run the Para.