Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading shotgun for 3 gun

APL-G35

http://shootpita.com/reloading-cost.htm

I don't believe you can reload 12ga cheaper than you can buy them for. I have never reloaded slugs so I have no idea. It is hard to break even on 20ga and when I have to buy more components I'll just buy the shells when I find a good deal. I have reloaders and hulls so I don't even factor in that cost and still can't break even. I still reload 28ga for skeet as that is still very cost effective. Here is a calculator hope this helps.

skeet and trap shooters are trying to produce specific results with their shot. I know the couple dollars I may save aint worth the time or trouble to pick up the shells and reload them at the rate I am shooting them

MarkS thats about the dollar value I came up with so I should elaborate on my previous statement. $37.50 a case vs $53 in the store for me...Im too busy reloading rifle and pistol to now throw in shotgun on top of it, to me personally isnt worth the $15.50 I would save, not to mention time.

As everyone knows, ammo is being bought at a staggering rate. For me, I can barely find loaded 12g-2 2/3"- 7.5 shot. When I do find it, it's about $9 a box (AA brand). Slugs on the other hand are gone, I can't find any in stores or online. So the delimma is to reload shot shells just to have them. If you can reload at $3.75/box...then at today's rate at say $8/box...it makes sense

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been trying to stock up on ammo so I can shoot a couple of 3 gun matches this year. I actually found some fiochi low recoil slugs locally yesterday so I bought all they had. I guess I'm interested in reloading it now because of scarcity in finding any. It looks as though most just use reloads for practice.

Rio shells are in the $4/box of 25 and $3/5 for buck and slugs. Not hard to find here yet. Gun club/Bulk packs running $5 to $6/25 and good stuff (AA and STS) running $8-9/25.

Still not worth the actual $ to reload for me. 1150 fps loads are going to run me in the $4 to $5 range buying in bulk.

Rio shells are in the $4/box of 25 and $3/5 for buck and slugs. Not hard to find here yet. Gun club/Bulk packs running $5 to $6/25 and good stuff (AA and STS) running $8-9/25.

Still not worth the actual $ to reload for me. 1150 fps loads are going to run me in the $4 to $5 range buying in bulk.

mar were are you getting yours? rio slugs are 3.49 here and work awesome but cant seem to find shot for less than 5.50 even looked into bulk(pallet) and it was still in the mid 5s

I reload shot shells, but it's tough to save any money. I have several thousand hulls and use reclaimed lead to keep cost down as low as possible. I use them for practice and in my pump for local matches. I really only save money because.I ready have everything.

I prefer my handloads, but with the local price of shot at $45 per 25lb bag it isn't worth it. Think I'm just going to save my loads for trap league and use factory 1 1/8 loads for 3-gun this year. If the price of shot doesn't come down I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with my 55 gallon trash can full of hulls.