Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting 9mm brass?

nvminer

It's not necessary. Although, some handloaders develope a fondness for a particular brand. I like Federal F.C. stamped brass, but I usually don't take the time to sort it out and only load that brand. Of course, you want to sort out the military crimped stuff, unless you have a swager.

What are you shooting? If it's 9Major, it is helpful since it has been noted by several shooters on this forum about case-head separations with some brands. I think it was the FC brand that most seemed to complain about. I'll search for it...

No need to sort your brass. Total waste of time unless you like having your press locked up by trying to load crimped military brass. Also, if you don't want accurate loads that are extremely consistent over the chrono just use mixed brass.

I don't sort my brass but I do dig through my cleaned brass with a magnet to pull out any plated steel cases that got picked up at the range.

I then put a nap of lanoline on the palm of one hand, rub my hands together to coat both palms, then dig through the brass rubbing it as it falls from the hands. This sure makes the brass easier to reload.

LikesToShoot, where to you get your lanoline?? That stuff is hard to find anymore.. I make my lube with 100% lanoline and 93% alcohol. I just warm them both in a tub of hot water and mix the lanoline 1/10 with the alcohol. Put in a spray bottle and it's done. Just having trouble finding 100% lanoline.

What are you shooting? If it's 9Major, it is helpful since it has been noted by several shooters on this forum about case-head separations with some brands. I think it was the FC brand that most seemed to complain about. I'll search for it...

Case head separation: I've tested a hundred rounds or so (all mixed head stamp that I picked up from the range) just to see how much truth in only shoot a 9mm major reload a few times, after i loaded them at least 10 times each with no apparent problems of any kind, I came to the conclusion, make up your own mind. I'm running a PF of 172..

LikesToShoot, where to you get your lanoline?? That stuff is hard to find anymore.. I make my lube with 100% lanoline and 93% alcohol. I just warm them both in a tub of hot water and mix the lanoline 1/10 with the alcohol. Put in a spray bottle and it's done. Just having trouble finding 100% lanoline.

Target. In the baby section, the ladies need it for nursing wear and tear. :goof:

Target. In the baby section, the ladies need it for nursing wear and tear. :goof:

Good deal, we have a Taget just down the street from here.