Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using magnum small pistol primers instead of small pistol primers

Jachin

Greetings fellow reloaders,

I'm loading 9mm 135 Bayou Bullets with 3.9gr of W-231, .377-.378 crimp and 1.140 OAL. from a mixed bag of cases using Winchester small pistol primers or CCI spp.

They run between 980 and 1000 fps over a chrono.

Unable to find any small pistol primers, I bought a 1000 Federal "magmum small pistol primers." Last box on the shelf.

With all things kept the same, what will most likely happen using the "magnum small pistol primers?"

Can the mag primer spike the 231?

I'm going to back the charge down .2 grains and rechrono, but I'm hoping someone else has some experience with this.

Best regards,

Over,

When I loaded up some 9Major loads with magnum and standard primers, actually, my PF was exactly the same and some of the speeds with the Magnum primers were a tad lower than the standard. Strange, yeah I know, but I tested over a hundred rounds of each and this is what I came up with. At Minor PF, it might make a difference but I didn't see that with Fed primers in my HS-6 loads at Major.

What about the breach face issues i've been reading about? I would use this in a G34 with Bayou Bullets 125gr. and either clays or bullseye

That would depend on the primer being used. Winchester and Federal primers use the exact same cup for the small pistol and small pistol magnum primers. CCI do not. Their small pistol magnum primers use the small rifle primer cup, and are harder. With a light load, such as you would use in Production, the small rifle primer ( CCI small pistol magnum primer ) might not seal the pocket completely, which might cause breech face erosion. There are several threads on here about the hardness of primer cups.

What about the breach face issues i've been reading about? I would use this in a G34 with Bayou Bullets 125gr. and either clays or bullseye

That would depend on the primer being used. Winchester and Federal primers use the exact same cup for the small pistol and small pistol magnum primers. CCI do not. Their small pistol magnum primers use the small rifle primer cup, and are harder. With a light load, such as you would use in Production, the small rifle primer ( CCI small pistol magnum primer ) might not seal the pocket completely, which might cause breech face erosion. There are several threads on here about the hardness of primer cups.

Grumpy, that is very interesting. Where did you learn this? Is this published somewhere? I would like to investigate this.

thanks.