Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill?

nhglyn

So, after finding out about the Bill Drill I am curious as to what times everyone has gotten for 6 A's from a draw at 7 yds, at least that is what I was told is a Bill Drill! What is your best time? What times should a C shooter get? B? A? M? or GM?

Their are tons of old threads with times listed, but I'll tell you what I have read on this forum.

In the past, 2.00 seconds was considered a Master class time.

Do you really want to know what it is now? Well, I think that a few GMs shooting Open have broken the 1.4 sec. barrier.

While shooting all in the A-zone is the idea, sometimes it is fun to just try and keep them all on paper, then C- hits, etc..

It truly is a great learning tool.

My fastest Bill Drills have been with a single stack. I am fairly confident in saying a 2 second Bill Drill is well within my reach with a single stack, open blaster or production gun...makes no difference. I have done several in the 1.75 second range, most of them without a witness. :D

Frankly, I would rather shoot a 2 second Bill Drill with a picture perfect draw, calling each shot precisely, while processing all of the inputs instantly, than to shoot a 1.5 second Bill Drill and be cluless as to what just happened.

In his book, Brian listes 1.7 seconds as his par time practice Bill Drill. That's simply smoking.

that is my all time fastest, most of them run about 1.8 anymore. At about 2 I can feel like I am taking my time.

I still agree that 2 seconds is really quick.

The important part is only A's count. Outside A zone and the drill don't count.

But the thing is, no matter how fast you can shoot this drill. 1/2 a match and 1/2 is transitions. So this past wknd I set up 3 targets staggered 3 yds apart, the front one at 7yds the back two on each side at about 10. 2 shots on each at about 2.1 - 2.2. 3 shots on each in about 2.8 and change.

JD45:

But the thing is, no matter how fast you can shoot this drill...

I will add, no matter how fast you can perform any drill in practice, sooner or later you will be called upon to perform cold and on demand. Smoking times on a drill don't mean much if you can't transfer those skills into match performance.

Yeh, a match is all mental. You can have skills faster than anyone.

I still can't shoot a match to save my life, and don't get me started on classifiers. I only have one classifier over 85 and one over 75. I get nervous unless the day is going well.

If you can do a 1 second draw and .2 second splits, you'll get a 2 second Bill Drill. I'm a "high C class" shooter and I can come pretty close to that (a few tenths, or even hundredths over).

If I just try to shoot as fast as possible and not worry about hits at all, I can do a .85 second draw and .17 second splits, which saves a whole .3 seconds...1.7 total. But then I might only score half the total points.

This is with a Limited gun and a race holster.

DogmaDog

I will add, no matter how fast you can perform any drill in practice, sooner or later you will be called upon to perform cold and on demand. Smoking times on a drill don't mean much if you can't transfer those skills into match performance.

That's for sure! I've changed my practice to start off with a couple of cold stage runs before going into drills. That's been a big help.

Joel

1.82 production gear, i'm B class, but should be A (next update) haven't shot a lot of classifiers lately.

had a couple faster but dropped points "tried" too hard. i'm sure it will be faster once i get used to the gear.

my draw is about .95 for those. so, we'll see if we can take that down a hair and clean up the splits. (factory S&B ammo was used)