Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Flash Hider and Installing Compensator

Nemesis Lead

Hi Guys,

I want to remove a flash hider from my LMT AR and install a compensator.

I tried removing it with a moderate (but not excessive) amount of force. The dogonne thing is really on there.

Does anyone know if LMT loctites their flash hiders on? I called them and with the AR-15 craze, they won't return my call.

I admit to being a nervous nellie. I don't want to trash my barrel!

Also--what is your favorite compensator that is Tactical / Limited legal?

I don't know if they use loctite, but if they do, a little heat will make it turn loose. The flashhider should be pretty tight even without loctite though. When you install your new comp, it will need to be tight or it ill loosen up during firing, possibly changing point of impact/group size. I like using a jam nut on my comps, and making witness marks. This way, you can remove the comp and clean the crown and then put it right back where it was. You can also tell if it is loosening at a glance. Locknuts are just not as pretty as having a comp blended to the barrel (like Benny or JP will do).

Try to shoot other people's rifles to decide which comp that you like the best, there are many good ones and comps are very subjective, what works for one person might not work for the other.

Hurley

Thanks HRider. How do you apply heat?

A small propane torch, like the ones used by plumbers and HVAC people, or an electric heat gun may work. You do NOT want to get it very hot, certainly not anywhere near glowing, just warm enough for the loctite to break loose. You will need a way to hold the barrel in a vise, without marking it up, while you unscrew the flashhider. Do you have any shooting friends that have done this type of thing before, maybe they can be there with you and show you how.

Hurley

Yep barrel vise and a propane torch should get the job done. I have used a large screwdriver between the slats on the flash hider or a large set of channel locks if your not worried about scratching the flash hider.

When you install the new compensator you will want to use a crush washer and if necessary use a piece of sand paper on a flat surface to adjust the thickness of the washer so the compensator is clocked properly.

You can get a really cool mini torch at HomeD for $10. Runs on Butane, and fits in a range tool box very well. Used it to thaw the door lock on my truck the other cooldd morning, and .... Handy for lighting cigars too! :)

Edited by Sleepswithdogs