Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge vs Tactical 5.0

claycrusher

I'm looking to buy my first 2011 after having competed in IDPA and 3 gun matches with my Springfield Loaded and wish to stay with a .45. I like the looks and feel of an Edge, but they seem hard to find particularly with the flat top I would like. I've seen quite a few 5.0 Tactical though- anyone know if they are as accurate as a Edge? They also seem to mostly all have flat or tri tops. I don't need the tac rail for 3 gun matches, but I don't mind them. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Neither of those is IDPA legal. They both use the STI barrel and will probably be equal as far as accuracy goes. Are you shooting He man/heavy metal? I don't think double stack guns are legal in HM. You are giving up some advantage by not going with a 9mm. If you want an IDPA/3 gun pistol in .45 it probably needs to be an Eagle with a bushing barrel.

Thanks Paul! Right now all I shoot competitively is 3 gun, which at my club means mostly steel, for which I prefer my 45's over the 9's as it knocks them over with much less bother. This pistol will thus be primarily for 3 gunning, if I ever get back into IDPA I could always use my Springfield if the STI is not allowed in the class.