Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Glock Gunsmith?

G34 CORDY

Hello guys I just bought a G35 and want to set it up for limited and looking for a good gunsmith to send it to. I have been looking at the aftermarket barrels and some say drop in but would I benefit from a fitted barrel from a gunsmith? I was looking at SJC to do the work or do you recommend someone else Dawson etc? Also Iam wanting to buy a aftermarket mag release which one do you guys like? This also might sound like a silly question but is it worth it to get a nice limited package or spend that money on or towards a S_I type? I want to buy a SVI in the future but would like to see what I can do the my 35 in limited.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I personally think you are waay over thinking this whole Glock thing. There is no reason to change the barrel unless you want to run pure lead bullets. Glock barrels are great barrels. You won't need a mag release either as the 35/34 come with an extended release.

The beauty of the Glock is that they are DIY platforms. A Glock gunsmith is almost an oxymoron.

Save your money and gunsmith searches for that new 2011 that you want to build in the near future. The 2011 when customized is the gun that needs gunsmiths to repair or enhance.

Iam way over thinking this I know lol. But I really think my 35 is having accuracy issues. My G34 is right on and I cant call my shots at all with my 35 all over the place, I have shot other 35's to see if it was me and Iam hitting where I point with another one I tried. The factory mag release is tearing up my palm thats why I want a different one. I work in the oilfield and on a rig right now and have alot of time on my hands to think lol.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I agree with Sarge's comments about the barrel and mag release but if you're dealing with a Glock for competition, Bobby Carver is really the best there is. SJC has some nice products but Bobby is incredible for customer service and responsiveness. Extremely knowledgable about the Glock in USPSA and GSSF applications. He helped me with an open gun this year. You may want to search his name on the glocktalk forum. Here's his website as well.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/bbenterprise//?or_id=&cu_id=&st_id=bbent12869a75de

Iam not sure what to do about this accuracy issue?

Load development. Try different lengths for starters, then different powder charges. Drop the oal by a few thousandths load 50 or so. Lengthen by a few thousandths and load 50 or so. Powder up, powder down, test. You get the picture. My G34 and M&P Pro were grouping 6-8" at 25 yards until I found the right load. My G34 was much more accurate on the shorter end of the oal spectrum. I ended up at 1.13 and got 2-3" groups at 25yards. Another thing I learned is groups will move around as well based on loads. I had groups move from the one oclock position to the 11 oclock position by changing the load just a little bit. Finally found one that was center of mass at 2-3" in size. Took me about 150 rounds to find the right load.

For a mag release I like basically a mid length. I round the factory release over and then bevel the edges. There isn't a short edge on it to rub your palm

I do the same thing on my Gen 3 Glocks and the Gen 4 Glocks work well enough stock.

My tests were all with different factory loads so that makes me wonder? None of my other pistols have any kind of issues like this they are spot on if I do my job with all types of different factory ammo.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I'm not saying your barrel if fine or bad either way but remember EVERY gun is different. YOUR gun may not like factory ammo as well as another G35 sitting right beside it. Maybe you could see if somebody local has a Glock barrel to swap out with you to try in your gun. That would be pretty conclusive.

I will try to get ahold of someones if I can. Its kind of frustrating that I just bought it and its all over the place. My wifes sig p238 380 is more accurate than my 35 right now. If I have to get a new barrel will a drop in barrel just (drop in) or does it need to be fitted to the gun?

G34 Cordy, Is this your first .40 Glock? Have you been shooting all 9mm before? A few shooters who have been shooting 9mm only have issues when they first start shooting a .40 because of the different recoil impulse. Just asking.

No I had a Tanfo Limited in .40 and a STI Edge in .40.

Why would the recoil pulse make a accuracy issue if the recoil pulse is after the shot has been made?

Also shot a friends Brazos STI and its dead on. Also rented a G35 from the range and it hit where I put it. Iam pretty sure its not me but anything is possible

Edited by G34 CORDY

Has anyone else shot your 35? If others have trouble I might consider having someone look for a burr on the muzzle crown. Might have to send it back to Glock.

Richard

No I have been the only one to shoot it, I will have someone else shoot it as soon as I can. But Iam fairly new to Houston and dont know alot of people that shoot.

Why would the recoil pulse make a accuracy issue if the recoil pulse is after the shot has been made?

Also shot a friends Brazos STI and its dead on. Also rented a G35 from the range and it hit where I put it. Iam pretty sure its not me but anything is possible

Because some people that have only shot 9mm and start shooting .40 anticipate the recoil and flinch as they pull the trigger. I have seen it happen to many new shooters and I am glad that is not your problem. See if you can find another G35 and start by trying the barrel in your slide and continue swapping parts until you determine what the issue is or call 1-770-432-1202. Good Luck.

Because some people that have only shot 9mm and start shooting .40 anticipate the recoil and flinch as they pull the trigger. I have seen it happen to many new shooters and I am glad that is not your problem. See if you can find another G35 and start by trying the barrel in your slide and continue swapping parts until you determine what the issue is or call 1-770-432-1202. Good Luck.

I will try to find someone to let me use there barrel and hopefully thats it or if not I guess I need more practice. Thanks

A KKM gunsmith fit barrel really isn't that hard to fit, also you can shoot any type of bullet with them.

Only thing is, they are chambered short, so after you get it fitted, send it back to KKM with a dummy round and they will then chamber it to that round.

Edited by Steve RA

Only thing is, they are chambered short, so after you get it fitted, send it back to KKM with a dummy round and they will then chamber it to that round.

Just more reason to stay with a stock barrel. You could send the whole gun back to Glock and tell them it won't shoot straight. They will fix it.