Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek comp vs MSTN QC

tk4

I need a couple new comps for new rifles.

My PWS works ok and doesn't seem any louder than a flash hider.

I can't shoot as well when using an obnoxiously loud comp.

From what I have heard the Miculek should work a little better than the PWS. It is a lot cheaper, so if it isn't any louder I guess I will pick up a couple.

Any other opinions of the noise the Miculek puts out?

The MSTN has my vote. It is more effective in reducing lift than the Miculek and 'quieter'. After trying some of the more popular ones I found the MSTN to be a close second to the Seekins muzzle brake. You get what you pay for. However the Miculek should not be denied for it also is much better than some of the more expensive and popular muzzle brakes. And for the price the Miculek is worth every penny.

I know it is somewhat off topic, but why not a battle comp? I know its a "jack of all trades master of none", but for recoil control how much is actually NEEDED? We are talking 5.56 right? I just like mine because it manages recoil well, minimal backblast, and minimal muzzle blast.

I know it is somewhat off topic, but why not a battle comp? I know its a "jack of all trades master of none", but for recoil control how much is actually NEEDED? We are talking 5.56 right? I just like mine because it manages recoil well, minimal backblast, and minimal muzzle blast.

When I went from no comp to comp on my 223 Mini 14, it made a large difference in my times. With no comp the barrel would rise just a bit, but it required correction, required bring it back down on to target again. When the comp was added I could stay on target and just keep squeezing the trigger, For the most of the world recoil in a 223 isn't significant, but for very competitive 3g it is a factor in better times. So, people try and run the best they can find.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

For a general purpose rifle the battle comp is a great choice. As you said, jack of all traits, master of none. For competition use, you want the sights to lock onto a target like a tractor beam. A good competition comp will allow effortless pairs 15 to 20yds further out than the battle comp. the trade off for the extra speed is noise and signature. I just got a Griffin comp (battle comp copy) for my utility rifle build.

For what it's worth, I do like the look of the MSTN brake better than the miculek, even though they work about the same.