Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major or .38 super?

DirkD

Just want to add a note on efficiency vs effectiveness. While one can argue that efficiency is defined by doing the same work with less, in this case the same velocity with less powder, it is not the same as saying it operates the compensator with the same effectiveness. All else being equal, a gunpowder that requires a larger charge weight for the same velocity produces more gas and makes the compensator more effective by reducing muzzle rise by a greater amount.

When we talk about pressure, we have to keep in mind that chamber pressure is not a good predictor of compensator effectiveness. Testing shows that gas volume predicts compensator effectiveness (muzzle rise) better than chamber pressure. We don't have a good way to measure pressure at the compensator, so we don't know what's happening there, but we do measure charge weight and we know that more charge weight produces more gas volume and that correlates well with muzzle rise. While we can speculate that more gas volume produces more pressure at the muzzle/comp (even though chamber pressure might be less), it could also be the case that more gas volume results in gas venting over a longer time period which could account for the difference in muzzle rise.

Some of these principles are illustrated with hard data at the link below.

http://38super.net/Pages/Compensator%20Function.html

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer a 5" limited gun over a 6" limi....Oh wait wrong thread my bad. On the subject of what are the "Top" shooters using I'll say no limited nationals has been won with a 6" gun but that doesn't stop top shooters from using 6". I had a shorty in super then a shorty in 9 and also a 5" in 9...they were all reliable. pick one pick a load and practice and you will be better off than someone chasing gear.

Awww common! Keep it going!

This thread is more fun to watch than a cat chasing a laser beam!

It may be fun for you but I feel like I'm trying to read Shakespeare to my dog. You know.......all things held equal and all.

AMEN Brotha!

It just doesn't matter!!!

If people put this much effort into communicating to their public servants we might not be in quite the pickle we're heading toward...

Open 10 anyone?