Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax one piece magazine tube

co-exprs

Looking for some recommendations here regarding install issue with new Carbon Arms magazine tube for my Versamax Tactical. I picked up the still NIB 8+1 tube offered in a prior posting on this forum from edittman1 (Thank you :)). My plan is to run the tube as an 8+0 for certain matches and an 8+2 for all others. While waiting delivery on the tube I also ordered a +2 extension from Nordic and the latest version magazine cap from Remington for the Versamax sport and hunting models with the swivel stud on the end. These parts should let me run the gun in the two configurations and I’d trim a spring to use in each of these variations. Hopefully I would end up with an arrangement somewhat like co-exprs 26” Versamax featured in the opening post of this forum except in an 8-round tube. I have not removed the factory magazine tube yet (this one ain’t com’in out by hand) but a couple of quick checks revealed a problem. The new Remington magazine cap will not thread on the cap end of the new Carbon Arms tube. The crazy thing is the Nordic +1, +2, & +6 (which I’m currently running on the gun) extensions and the new Remington cap all thread onto the cap end of the original factory magazine tube. They all thread on the receiver end of the new Carbon Arms tube (I know it’s the wrong end, this was just a test). Only the Nordic extensions will thread onto the cap end of the Carbon Arms tube. The Remington cap is a no-go in less than a turn and a half. Visual and tactile inspection of the Remington cap does not reveal any crossed or misshapen threads and no burrs or rough edges are detectable in the threaded section of the cap. I don’t know if the threading arrangement is actually different with the Nordic or Carbon Arms parts to permit a wider or tighter tolerance than the Remington. Presumed they’d be the same thread for extension or cap. Maybe if Mark can provide the thread size/pitch specification for the Carbon Arms tube I can have the Remington cap thread chased in the shop to insure an in spec thread engagement. Any other ideas or input would be appreciated. Would like to have her up and running with some practice time and a couple of club matches under my belt before the AIM/TFD match in June.

Edited by thazlett

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard about the change in threads on the production model from a shooting buddy. Mark will have to chime in on this one, but I can tell you that the Remington threads are not the best for keeping things tight. They are designed to work in conjunction with a detent system for keeping the cap in place. They are also not an industry standard thread, meaning... using Rem magazine cap threads is more expensive and also more problematic. I'm not sure which pattern threads were used on the production model, but I doubt Nordic made a whole new extension nut just for this tube. There are really only a few players. If anyone has a Mossberg, Benelli or Beretta end cap, give it a try and let everyone know if it worked. I guess mine turned out to be a prototype, which is Italian for... extra special.

You have two options:

1. Extension flush with barrel: Swap your current standard end cap from a standard to the XL end cap which is 3/4" long. This will allow you to run 10+1 still (Nordic out of stock): http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-shotgun-extension-tube-end-cap/

2. If you truly want the +2 you can order just the +2 tube from Nordic (available): http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-12-ga-shotgun-extension-tube-tube-only/

WIth mine I ordered the 8+3 from Carbon and swapped out the +3 tube for the +2 tube from Nordic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwgfzeyl5x9jgs2/20130329_193732.jpg

You have two options:

1. Extension flush with barrel: Swap your current standard end cap from a standard to the XL end cap which is 3/4" long. This will allow you to run 10+1 still (Nordic out of stock): http://nordiccomp.co...n-tube-end-cap/

2. If you truly want the +2 you can order just the +2 tube from Nordic (available): http://nordiccomp.co...tube-tube-only/

WIth mine I ordered the 8+3 from Carbon and swapped out the +3 tube for the +2 tube from Nordic:

https://www.dropbox....0329_193732.jpg

Ok so if go with option #2 is this a closed end tube like the +1 that I already have or does it have take a end cap like a +6 tube? I don't want to order the +2 to find out that I need another end cap.

Guys, I've never owned the +1. Looks like on Nordic's site that the +1 is only two parts, the tube and integrated cap, and the extension nut. Most Nordic extensions break down to an extension nut, the actual tube, and the standard end cap. Looks like you have no option other than #2.

Can anyone out there with a +1 confirm this?

The nut/end of our tube, is a Mossberg thread. This was done for durability.

Thank you Mark, I'll head over to Mossberg right now. Anybody need a Remington Versamax magazine cap w/ swivel stud. Not cheap!!!!

So here's a new one on me. I was at the Johnson match on Sat when my Nordic charge handle busted off my shotgun. Luckily, I was able to double up with someone and finish the day.

bustedchargehandle_zps6cab8483.jpg

I called Nordic to see about a replacement. They were super cool on the phone and explained how that charge handle works great on the Benelli's with their slower action, but with the Versamax' faster action, the weight of the handle fatigues the shank and will ultimately snap off. They are sending me the smaller, lighter one, they make for Remington. I stuck in an Arredondo unit, I had in the drawer, for now. It has a large plastic handle on a stainless shank. Kind of ugly but should be functional for now. Too bad. I really liked the look of the BFB on my Versa-gat.

So apparently I didn't know what I was talking about, when I recommended that charge handle for the Versamax. Sorry. Live and learn I guess. I also ordered up a Briley, just to try out. The Briley is a steel shank with an aluminum handle.

You have two options:

1. Extension flush with barrel: Swap your current standard end cap from a standard to the XL end cap which is 3/4" long. This will allow you to run 10+1 still (Nordic out of stock): http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-shotgun-extension-tube-end-cap/

2. If you truly want the +2 you can order just the +2 tube from Nordic (available): http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-12-ga-shotgun-extension-tube-tube-only/

Mark,

Can you confirm that option 2 here is what needs to be ordered to extend the Carbon tube?

You have two options:

Mark,

Can you confirm that option 2 here is what needs to be ordered to extend the Carbon tube?

I'll answer my own question for anyone else that may be considering this. I ordered the Nordic plus two extension and it fit fine making it a 10+1 gun. Now the added bonus. I had a couple Roulette tactical extended caps on my bench so I swapped out one of those caps with the Nordic cap that came with the extension and voila, I now have the capability of a 9+1, 10+1 or 11+1 depending on the match or my mood.

So the Roulette caps fit on the end of the Carbon Arms one piece tube? How do they look? Can you post up some pics?

Mick

That's not quite what I said. The roulette cap fits on the plus 2 Nordic extension. The plus one that comes with the Carbon tube doesnt have an end cap at all, so the roulette won't work. I don't have any pictures, it looks like any other cap, but longer.

Ordered a one piece kit from Carbon Arms. I called to confirm that they had what I need in stock before I ordered due to I have a match coming up soon. After a few days noticing that it has not shipped. So I emailed them, quickly they replied that some of their Nordic nuts have bad threads and now they have to wait from Nordic to get more. So the way it seems I have no eta on shipment. Little frustrating.....

Mark,

What model Mossberg end cap matches your tube end threads? I know a 590/835 is not correct. Presume the Mossberg semi auto family end caps are different but figured better to check with you to be certain.

My new Carbon Arms 8 round tube with a Nordic +2 extension looks great. Will be running it for the first time in local club match this weekend but still need to run an 8 round tube only configuration in the future.

Thanks

Mark,

What model Mossberg end cap matches your tube end threads? I know a 590/835 is not correct. Presume the Mossberg semi auto family end caps are different but figured better to check with you to be certain.

My new Carbon Arms 8 round tube with a Nordic +2 extension looks great. Will be running it for the first time in local club match this weekend but still need to run an 8 round tube only configuration in the future.

Thanks

I just asked Mark about the end cap and he told me that the 590/930 end cap will fit.

Have you tried a 590 or 930 cap and found it to be incompatible???

Edited by DHart

Mark,

Thanks

I just asked Mark about the end cap and he told me that the 590/930 end cap will fit.

Have you tried a 590 or 930 cap and found it to be incompatible???

590/835 cap was too small in diameter to even fit the end of the tube. Per the post between ours from Travtastik I tried a Mossberg 930 cap at our monthly club match this past Saturday (Thank you Travis :)). It behaved in a similar manner to the Remington Versamax cap I purchased. It went on about one turn and locked in place. Seems the only thing that works correctly are the Nordic extension nuts. If they only had a +0 extension I'd have it made but then it wouldn't be much of an extension and I haven't seen such a product on their website. If there was a Nordic extension end cap with external threads to fit the inside of extension nut that would do it too but that product wouldn't make much sense either, EXCEPT for me. You guys at Carbon Arms couldn't possibly fab an end cap for your tube in the next two weeks could ya? :roflol:

Thanks for all the input.

I too very much WANT an end cap to finish off the CA magazine tube, WITHOUT the +1 extension.

For much of my use of the CA magazine tube product, I don't want ANY extension on the CA magazine tube... just a CAP!

Mark... if you have such a product... PLEASE add it to my pending order with you for a CA magazine tube. I will gladly pay you for it!

Edited by DHart

thazlett-

What is the reason you want an end cap only, is the competition limited to only 8 being allowed in the gun at any point or length of mag tube? If its just a restriction in capacity could you just get a plug that will limit you to only being able to fit 8 in the gun at any given time, that way you won't have to worry about getting a separate cap.

Mark... is the end cap on the Nordic +1 extension tube that you supply with the CA magazine tube removable, so that the Nordic +1 extension itself could be set aside, and the end cap from the extension can be attached to the end of your CA magazine tube? Creating a complete CA mag tube with no extensions?