Versamax one piece magazine tube

co-exprs

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got enough parts at the house to test this concept but the Nordic end caps have internal threads to mount on the Nordic extension tubes and the extension tubes have external threads to engage the inside of the Nordic extension nut (and of course the end cap at the other end). Somewhere the internals and externals aren't matching up, I think? Heck, I'm headed to house to test this theory before I insert my foot any further into my mouth and get my own internals and externals mixed up.

Regarding the question of magazine capacity limits as the driving factor for the cap to fit just the 8-round tube;

the match rules read specifically:

"6.3.2.6 No shotgun in Tactical class may be loaded with

more than 9 rounds at any one time, or hold over 8 rounds

in the magazine tube."

The second part of that statement is what concerns me so I'm planning on a 2-round length dowel behind the follower as a back-up plan if I can't resolve the cap issue in time. I just don't want to have to pull my mag tube extension off before every stage to prove to the RO it can only hold 8 rounds. Those ROs can get pretty picky. I know because I'll be one of them.

Parallel to this thread I've been having an ongoing email conversation with the folks at Nordic Components and it is something they are also aware of and thinking about addressing in the near future within their current mag extension product line. I've been pressing them on how "Near" the future might be able to be made.

I'm so confused about the whole end cap thing now. So much conflicting info circling round and round. I hope this will all come clear soon... it seems so very simple to have become so very confusing?

Dhart you could always just make a plug for the end with some delrin bar stock the right diameter and thread it yourself. Cost wise probably the same after finding the right material and the die to make it work, but tinker factor is up there plus you be able to say you've made part(s) for your own gun. Haha

Akkid... home fabrication is an option, I guess, but I really just want to be able to buy a cap and be done with it.

I don't see how something so simple as a screw on end cap for the CA magazine tube could become so mired in confusion, as it has become over the course of this discussion. Inner thread or outer thread, 590 cap works, 590 cap doesn't fit, yada, yada. One would think there would be no opportunity for confusion over such a small, basic piece.

It's the little details that always require the most effort. I do apologize for my role in adding to the confusion. I was hoping by sharing what I was going through a solution might be found. I should have a warehouse full of different magazine end caps when this is over. Maybe I'll have a fire sale.

thazlett... hey man, if you can definitively confirm what end cap fits the Versatube, that would be great. My inclination would be to go with what Mark said (590/930 end cap fits perfectly) except the comments here stating that the 590/930 end caps did not fit their Versatube. That's where I get confused.

Edited by DHart

DHart....Yes, it's my experience adding to your confusion. I purchased a new series Versamax cap directly from Remington and it runs on about 1-1/2 turns and will go no further. I purchased a catalog Mossberg 590/835 cap from Midway USA and is was too small in diameter. Another participant here on the forum shoots at our club matches and he brought me a 930 "Turkey Gun" end cap to try and it behaved similar to the Remington cap only going on about 1 turn before stopping.

I have Nordic +1, +2, +4, & +6 extensions and everyone of them works like a charm. Now I long for a +0 but that wouldn't be an extension so it's not too high on Nordic's priority list.

I've got a couple ideas up my sleeve but it will involve "tinker fabrication". I liked the earlier post on using Delrin then I could make it a flashy color. For now I'll just lust after a future aftermarket product.

When we built our stainless tubes, we threaded them for Mossberg 590/835/930/935 Nordic nuts. First batch, they came in, we gauged them, we had the proper thread engagement and that first batch sold out. Upon ordering materials for the next production run, when we gauged the nuts we received from Nordic, they were different...same part number, same listed fit. So we consulted with Nordic and they made us a new batch. The first run and second run of our tubes are exactly the same. But, we are now aware that there are different threads and tolerances from Mossberg and Nordic just made their nuts to match the Mossberg tubes. I am not sure if Nordic will have two different Mossberg nuts, but ours will be the slightly larger ones (ID of nut) to fit our tubes. The tolerance on our tubes needs to be tight with a good thread to tighten up the assembly and ensure long term strength, so that is all we will produce.

As for the male threaded +0 cap to end up with a 8 round tube, that is apparently a product they no longer produce. We will work on it to get a solution for those who need them. It might take a few weeks, but we will do our best. If you have a question I have not answered, feel free to ask or give me a call at the shop.

I have several CA products, all good stuff but I don't have the one peice VM tube. Before the one piece tubes came out I got a +2 end cap from another vendor so I could have 10+1 capacity. I also find I need to limit total capacity to 8+1 for specific matches.

However, instead of putting the original end cap back on, I've fabricated a coil over plug that looks a bit like a 1911 recoil spring guide rod. This limits capacity to 8+1 but keeps the 10+1 spring length. As a result when loading the 8th round into the tube the spring is not fully (or nearly so) compressed and the effort to load the 8th round is not significantly different from the first few.

For those shooters needing to limit capacity, have you considered a coil over style plug? This could easily be fabricated by CA.

Plastic coil over type plugs are readily available at sporting goods stores. I think he doesn't like the extended magazine look and really wants it to be flush. Insalling a plug is a quick, easy and cheap fix. thazlet is going to much greater trouble and cost to have a flush cap, than most would bother with. I sure hope that when he finds the magic cap, that it's thread length is correct, or he's gonna blow a gasket.

Edited by co-exprs

I am among those who would really like to be able to cap the CA VersaTube, with NO extensions, and have a neat, simple, flush-with-muzzle fit, for 8 rounds in the tube total.

Mark... is it likely that the new tubes you're about to ship out can be properly finished off with a Mossberg end cap? And, any estimate as to when they will ship to customers?

Edited by DHart

Mark... is it likely that the new tubes you're about to ship out can be properly finished off with a Mossberg end cap?

Probably not

And, any estimate as to when they will ship to customers?

Assuming you are talking about a 8 round nut/cap. Would be at least a few weeks before that is possible.

Ok, I agree this has become a much more complicated discussion than would seem necessary for such a simple item.

I do have a back-up plan that would install a cut to length wooden dowel as a coil over plug if other solutions don't work out. It would be just like the migratory bird plug in my Grand Daddy's old Wingmaster.

Speaking of solutions I have to give full credit for the included photo to another member of this forum, Travtastik, and one of his buddies who fabricated their own solution. I really like the bright metal cap as at the length shown it almost exactly matches the position of the extended choke tube above on my gun.

post-29835-0-51490000-1369453228_thumb.j

Travtastik will be testing this cap on his Versamax and my +1 extension is currently in a buddies shop being cut down to "Cap" length for me to test.

DHart let us know how Mark's "Cap" works out when you get the first one.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently received Mark's Carbon Arms one piece tube and went to install it on my 26" VM field gun. While cranking down on the tube to meet up with my receiver I noticed it would never meet up. So I grabbed a Craftsman strap wrench and cranked down, still no go. Took the tube back off and scraped on the receivers threads for a couple of hours to clean them up and still no go. So my gunsmith and I drilled a hole in the top of the tube to insert a long screwdriver for leaverage and still no go. At this point I was getting very frustrated and didnt know what to do next since my stock tube could be inserted and be flush while cranking down with one hand. So I had one more idea up my sleeve, I took it home and put the one piece tube in the freezer and left it in there over night. The next morning I gave it one more shot before I had to call Mark again, and by god it actually worked. I managed to get this tube flush inside my receiver and I was so proud of myselft. So if anyone has any trouble I would suggest trying this tip first before you make a mess of things like I did.

I just bought the 22" Versa Max Tactical. Also bought the Carbon Arms tube for it. The entire gun is currently with Bennie Hill to work his magic. So as it comes home I will post some photos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any news if anyone has a +0 cap for the Versatube in the works??? If Nordic knew there was a demand for it maybe something could get worked out.

BTW Mark the tube works like a dream (getting the old tube off was not a dream though...), got to try it out a couple weeks ago. thanks for all your work!!!