Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airborne contaminants during tumbling

rutilate

Has anyone run across any discussion or better yet, measurements of harmful airborne particulates generated during tumbling/separating brass?

I'm running the tumbler in my basement (next to exercise equipment!) and cannot afford to have lead build up and seepage into the house above.

I've read about people finding fine dust all over their shops/basements when using the dry media and/or open lid tumblers. I've taken some steps to ensure dust is minimized during tumbling.

I need to know how big of an issue this is, what else is necessary, including the possibility of just moving everything outside or even converting to stainless steel media.

There are five actions with potential for airborne contamination:

1. Pouring soiled media into tumbler
  2. Tumbling
  3. Pouring media and brass into separator
  4. Separation
  5. Pouring media into storage (or back into tumbler for another load)

1.) Pouring soiled media into tumbler

3.) Pouring media and brass into separator

5.) Pouring media into storage (or back into tumbler for another load)

Don't know how to minimize dust here, or even how big of a problem it really is.

2.) Tumbling

I have a Frankford Arsenal tumbler with a solid lid (although not necessarily sealed) and am using the walnut media with a recipe of mineral spirits and NuFinish (described here). How much will this combination knock down dust?

How often should the mineral spirits and NuFinish be reapplied to keep the dust down?

4.) Separation

I'm pouring into the RCBS media separator. I bought it because of the lid. I've been using my wife's old colander (caught hell for that when she found it missing!012.gif) and turning them with my hands. That won't continue!

What are your thoughts?

Get out of the basement! Cleaning brass is the only thing I don't do in my basement. I do it in the garage, usually with the door open and blow the dust outside when needed. I don't worry as much as some when it comes to lead contamination. My last test was a 9. But I would never ever do what you are doing in an enclosed place inside my house.

Thanks for the replies. I'm moving it outside today. My wife is ecstatic.

SS media and wet tumbling will cure a lot of that kind of problem, that's one of the reasons I switched.

i wonder if I can use this as an opportunity to convince her it is time to upgrade...

What do people do with the water after wet tumbling? I've a septic system so dumping it down the drain doesn't seem like a good option.

Is there a way to easily test the lead contamination in the dry tumbling media or wet tumbling waste water?

An easy way to test an area for possible lead dust is get a kit for it. They run around $20 give or take depending on what you want. I believe most are simple "color change" media on a swab. They are used in construction areas, especially in 70's and earlier homes constructed before lead in paint was banned. The swabs will tell you if you need to clean up in your bench area. You can probably find the test kits at Home Depot or if not then online should be easy. BTW Also went to SS / Wet media for the same reasons....

Edited by traderpats

I did not know there was such a contamination issue, here.

What type of contaminant are we talking about. Lead?

I think one is more likely to be contaminated when shooting lead or standing behind someone shooting lead. Or in the path of the cloud. Which is why I don't shoot lead at a public range anymore, I dislike seeing the clouds hit people who have no clue what they're breathing.

Edited by NicVerAZ

Considerable amount of lead in expended primers.

Good to know. I will do these operations outside from now on.

Should I even put the card board box the tumbler came in over the tumbler when operating?

I don't think the vibrator generates that much heat. (Yes, I wrote vibrator).

Considerable amount of lead in expended primers.

Should I even put the card board box the tumbler came in over the tumbler when operating?

I don't think the vibrator generates that much heat. (Yes, I wrote vibrator).

Might get hotter than you think? My Dillon gets pretty darn hot after a few hours. Either way I don't think you need anything on top of an already closed lid.

Tumblers do get quite hot espicially if forgotten and left to run. It would be a terrible idea to cover one with a box it is a huge fire hazzard. I would take it outside on nice days or garage when all else fails. I have started using wet stainless media with wonderfull results. A little more time b/c of dry time but no dust and clean brass.

I don't notice much dust kicked off by the tumbler running...but when pouring the media into or out of the tumbler, a nice cloud of dust is created. I tumble in the garage...I guess I should do it closer to the door, open the door, and maybe even setup a fan blowing out the door.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't notice much dust kicked off by the tumbler running...but when pouring the media into or out of the tumbler, a nice cloud of dust is created. I tumble in the garage...I guess I should do it closer to the door, open the door, and maybe even setup a fan blowing out the door.

Move to wet tumbling...

Move to wet tumbling...

But then you have lead contaminated water to dispose of and most of the wet tumbler setups I've seen are kind of low capacity. I think my Lyman can handle around 1000 9mm at a time. Lyman actually says it'll do 1000 .38spc at a time.

But then you have lead contaminated water to dispose of and most of the wet tumbler setups I've seen are kind of low capacity. I think my Lyman can handle around 1000 9mm at a time. Lyman actually says it'll do 1000 .38spc at a time.

This has been a challenge for me: how to find out how much lead is really in the water? Everyone I've spoken with has said they either pour it down the drain or the driveway. I'm on septic in a rather sensitive (or fanatic) state. I'd rather not contaminate my septic or the neighbor's yard.

Has anyone tested the lead concentration in the effluvium?

You could experiment with some chemistry to precipitate the lead out of solution...but then you'll end up with insoluble lead salts in either acid or base, posing other disposal issues. Or just leave the water in something that would allow it to evaporate, leaving the salts behind. If you had a big enough bucket or barrel, you could maybe just always dump the resulting dirty water into it, and allow the lead salts to accumulate there. I really have no idea how much there would be.

I guess you could pour the water through a large activated charcoal filter. Correct me if I am wrong, but wont these types of filters remove lead from untreated water? If so, do likewise, and then dump accordingly.

JZ

In my process of cleaning brass I deprime FIRST, therefore the bad crap in the primers is gone or considerably reduced. The waste water is spread on the ground outside my "shop", but I wouldn't hesitate to dump it into the septic system. I live fairly close to old 20th century Lead and zinc mining operations and I doubt that whatever amount I have added has adversly affected my or my neighbors health. Tested annually because I also cast lead bullets and I haven't had a bad test yet.

For clarification, it seems others are tumbling in a liquid solution whereas I'm "vibrating" in water-dampened walnut media. Both keep the lead dust down and have their own lead disposal issues.

Mark

Biggdawg's setup is excellent. Early on he supplies plans on how to build it yourself, and that's what I did. Mine ended up costing me around $45 including the SS pins. I had almost all the materials laying around the shop and a welder, so I got busy. You won't be disappointed in the machine or the results. BTW, it's O.K. to dump the water on your neighbors yard, especially if he doesn't see you do it. :ph34r: