Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 55G Powder Data Requested

Trident

55g Hornady or MG FMJ in Colt 16" 1:7 OBR

I looking to get a general consensus of what one or two powder, load & OAL combination are getting the best accuracy out to 100-300 @ 2800 - 2900 for you guys. I know there are a lot of combinations as well as info scattered around but I need to load 10k for 100-200 yard and would like to get an overall opinion on your experience.

CF223, H335, TAC, Varget, BLC-2

25 gr Tac, 2.25 OAL, wolf primers. Tac meters well in my dillon, load shoots well, haven't chrono'ed yet unfortunately cant help in that department. H335 is real similar to Tac and also meters well, although I believe Tac is cheaper. Varget works well with heavier bullets, but can have issues in a Dillon powder measure. I dont have any experiance with CFE223.

25 gr Tac, 2.25 OAL, wolf primers. Tac meters well in my dillon, load shoots well, haven't chrono'ed yet unfortunately cant help in that department. H335 is real similar to Tac and also meters well, although I believe Tac is cheaper. Varget works well with heavier bullets, but can have issues in a Dillon powder measure. I dont have any experiance with CFE223.

I just finished some extensive testing with CFE223 in my .308 5-R Milspec. It's great! Meters as well as any powder out there in all my powder measures. Nice and Fast without having to resort to compressed loads.

Haven't tested it yet in my AR's but if it's as good, and accurate, as it is in my .308 it will become my "go to" powder for those two calibers.

Cleanup is just what is claimed. A wet patch with hoppe's, a 10 minute or less "soak" and two or three dry patches make a nice clean bore. After a couple hundred rounds, same treatment only using Sweet's makes all copper that has managed to build up, go away.

My Dillon powder measure meters this stuff to just about a perfect load, every time. Only a rare drop of .1 gr more or less.