Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What mags for TruBor

Craig N

I know I have been asking a lot of questions, and a lot of different questions but I can be annoying easier than spend money and make mistakes :D I do appreciate everyone's input and for not whacking me with a stick.

I was reading some of Sarge's posts and got to researching the Trubor (I think he runs one of these). Would the Superior Firearms Tuned Mags 9mm 170 be the safest point to start for ready made mags for a 9mm 2011?

Dawson Precision sell tuned Mags

I purchased my first TruBor from Dawson - complete with their

"working over" both the gun and the four mags I purchased at the

same time - even numbered 1-4 (three 140's and one 170).

The 170 NEVER worked (from day 1), despite two trips back to Dawson. :surprise:

One of the 140's caused me so much trouble the first year before I discovered

that all my malfunctions were being caused by that one 140 mag - once I

fixed that mag - the gun ran well but the underside of my C-More mount was

banged up pretty badly by ejecting brass.

Probably the only person in the world that had this type of negative experience

with Dawson's "tuning", and this was 5-6 years ago - guess they've improved

a great deal since .... But my Brazos gun & mags work perfectly :cheers:

Out of the 15 or so mags that I do have they all run, non are tuned. Running all different followers and basepads.

If you are trying to jam that last round in, I can see getting a tuned mag, but I have yet to have a factory mag that didn't run

I bought a 9mm 170mm Superior mag some time ago and it has run perfect for me right out of the package. I've also built a 9mm 170mm mag and it has run perfect for me from day one & it is not tuned. Both mags are 29+1, 28+1 reliable reload. The one I built the tube came from Thunder Mountain, Grams guts, and Dawson +1 SNL base pad. So far so good. Maybe I was lucky with the one I built?

Sarge gave me a really good run down on mags and stuff in a PM. So I'm probably going to go the buy the parts and build mags route, saves $$$$$. Then if any have trouble I'm sure I can find someone to help me tune them or give a good lesson on it.

I have 3 140 mm and 1 170 mm Superior from Shooters Connection. These mags have been 100 % reliable just as they came. My140s will hold 24 non reloadable and the 170 will hold 29 nonreloadable. I use them primarily as backups to my old style SV mags but have shot several matches with them and they were excellent.

If you are going to do them yourself, check out the kit that Dawson sells. I learned a ton of stuff just from watching the video, and I did my mags myself. I have two STIs, one Edge, and one open gun built by a local smith. After I did the self tune, both guns have run really well. It isn't rocket science, but you do need to pay attention to the video, and of course follow instructions. It was a very satisfying project for me, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd do it in a minute.

I should have noted that I used factory STI tubes, Dawson base pads, and Grams springs and followers. Not trying to jinx myself, but I've put around 10k rds through the Edge, and have not had a single ftf, stovepipe, or anything! This gun has never once jammed on me. I know it will happen one day, but till then I'll keep singing it's praises.

I know I have been asking a lot of questions, and a lot of different questions but I can be annoying easier than spend money and make mistakes :D I do appreciate everyone's input and for not whacking me with a stick.

I was reading some of Sarge's posts and got to researching the Trubor (I think he runs one of these). Would the Superior Firearms Tuned Mags 9mm 170 be the safest point to start for ready made mags for a 9mm 2011?

I had a problem with my 170 Superior I sent it back and it was fixed it took 3 Months