Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor to major hit factor conversion formula

NicVerAZ

I am currently competing with my K100 in production but I am thinking about getting 2 more 20-round mags and signing up for limited minor with it and see how well I rank in that division.

I am also wondering if I could multiply my hit factors by a certain amount and see how I could have scored had I shot major.

I currently score higher shooting production than many limited major shooters. Probably because this is a class where a lot of people like to begin.

Would adding 5% be a good idea?

Thanks

The easiest way to compare would be to just change the points for your hits to MAJOR points. Instead of 5331 use 5442

Indeed but I never really pay attention to my scores until they are published online.

Then I forget how many B, C, D and even M I scored.

I get asked by shooters all the time to let them see their scoresheet after they shoot. They go jot their hits down then do the math on a phone or go home and calculate later. Get a pen and pad and throw it in the range bag. That is going to give you an exact answer instead of swagging a percentage guess.

If your scores are uploaded to USPSA, all the data is there. If you are an accurate shooter (like 90% As or more), then HFs will probably be about 5% higher if you were shooting major. As the number of As falls off, the gap between shooting minor and major increases.

Doing a simple point substitution would not take into consideration the higher capacity magazines as well as easier recoil.

Just a thought...

Therein lies the problem. There isn't any way that I know of that will give you a sense of how your current skill set with a minor production gun translates into a Limited score using a typical Limited major PF set up (major PF, capacity differences, SA trigger, longer heavier mags, holster and magazine pouch type and position, different drawstroke, different reload, etc).

GM's who shoot multiple divisions may have a sense of the HF differences, but I'll bet it differs from person to person and with skill level. So I'm pretty sure there's no easy "conversion factor".

I recently switched from SS minor to Limited major, so the same 10 rounds and minor scoring as production. I picked up about 10% on the overall results at our local monthly matches. You save some time with fewer reloads and then major scoring is nice. Stage breakdown is a lot simpler. With less reload points to remember I think it is simpler to get a more precise plan. I find myself getting to focus on how I get in and out of position a lot more in the walk throughs.