Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reloading

moonshoxx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using 3.3 gr. titegroup with 147 gr. Rainier Ballistics JHP. I get about a 129-135 power factor with this load (mixed brass) and I'm thinking of putting together some with 3.2 or 3.1 gr. titegroup to see what PF it makes.

Since bayous are lead you may want to start at 3.2 gr and work down or start at 3.0 and work up. Chronograph everything. I don't shoot lead (yet) but as I understand it, lead takes less powder to make PF than jacketed.

I wouldn't use TightGroup with ANY lead bullet,.... regardless of the coating. WSF - 3.3-3.4 grains should get you a very good load in the 130+PF range... and without all the smoke that TightGroup produces. And, that is a well below max load, so you can increase it if you want. Clean load, soft recoil.

I fail to understand the fascination with TightGroup. I have found it to be the 'best' power for NO loads.. and the WORST with most.

Edited by GOF

I don't like TiteGroup with lead bullets and really not with moly/poly coated bullets. Fast shooting REALLY heats up a barrel with TiteGroup and the moly/poly clings to the barrel and accuracy goes down. Any cooler burning powder is not a problem.

Have you tried AA2? Solo 1000?

I don't like TiteGroup with lead bullets and really not with moly/poly coated bullets. Fast shooting REALLY heats up a barrel with TiteGroup and the moly/poly clings to the barrel and accuracy goes down. Any cooler burning powder is not a problem.

Have you tried AA2? Solo 1000?

This. I tried several powders then a good friend suggested solo 1000. Its cheap, and its very low smoke. I throw a lead bullet over it for practice and a MG JHP over the same charge for my match loads.

You will never completely get rid of the smoke, but this is about as good as it gets in my book.

Solo1000 rocks for 9mm.

Use the dowel rod method for finding your max oal. Clear the chamber and stick a dowel down the barrel, mark the edge of the barrel with a pencil line. Remove the barrel, drop a loose bullet that you plan to load into the chamber and use a pencil or another piece of dowel to hold the bullet just snug up to the lands. Insert your dowel down the barrel again and mark it at the edge of the barrel. Remove bullet, dowel, etc and put pistol back together. Use your mic to measure the distance between your two pencil marks. That is your absolute max oal, and I recommend dropping down at least 0.010".

FWIW, my XDM had a very tight/short chamber compared to my STI and Glocks...