Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everything you need for 3 Gun - What's on your list?

Last year I shot the Nationals as my 3rd multigun match, I used a home built AR with a 1-4 scope, a Mossberg 590 pump and a old EAA Witness, home made holster, uncle mikes mag pouch, home made shell caddies, and my back pocket for extra rifle mag. is there better equipment out there, YES did not having it ruin my match NO, would I have placed higher with better equipment? at my skill level maybe a couple of places at most. Get out there and shoot what you have and borrow the rest.

Mike

Last year I shot the Nationals as my 3rd multigun match, I used a home built AR with a 1-4 scope, a Mossberg 590 pump and a old EAA Witness, home made holster, uncle mikes mag pouch, home made shell caddies, and my back pocket for extra rifle mag. is there better equipment out there, YES did not having it ruin my match NO, would I have placed higher with better equipment? at my skill level maybe a couple of places at most. Get out there and shoot what you have and borrow the rest.

Mike

Yep! Thats great advice. Run what ya brung and learn to load the shotgun! Thats the first thing most guys need to focus on in 3gun.

I would suggest, it doesn't matter where you start, what counts is where you finish.

More than likely, what ever you start with, you will find you need to make significant changes later as you go. Just jump in.

The only "must have" I can think of, is good, safe gun handling practices. Everything else you can learn as you go. Go shooting.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't worry about the gear at first, if you have the 3 guns, that's all you really need. Focus on going and just having fun, being safe, and learning the sport. I shot my first match with a stock benelli nova, sig p250c 9mm with only 2 mags (that hurt in a stage), and a 3G upper with a 1-4x on a RR Lower. .Didn't have any fancy belt, mag holder, or even shotgun shell holder had to use my pants pockets (the 28 round shotgun stage sucked lol). My buddy started with an 870, Ruger SR9C, and an iron sighted bushmaster. Use the equipment you have until you feel it's really hindering your performance or keeps you from being a better shooter, then upgrade.

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Pistol: Whatever you have shot the most, and have the most mags for. The pistol component of 3 gun is all about speed - with the caveat that you cannot miss fast enough to win. You don't have to have a race pistol, you just have to be familiar enough with it to be able to operate it quickly. Also, when you practice, use the smallest targets you can hit, and know exactly where your pistol hits at from 5-30 yards. Be able to hit a 5 inch circle on the first shot at those distances. Your pistol, pouches for 2 mags if hi-cap, 4 if single stack, and a dozen magazines will do. For the holster, the MINIMUM level of retention should be a Blade-tech or similar. I have taken to using Safariland 6004's for 3 dun mostly because no matter what happens, the gun isn't coming out until I want it to.

Shotgun: The Shotgun component is mostly about reloading. Most of the time you will be stuffing each round in individually, or in pairs, so each round is precious, and the most useless things on the planet are all of the shells you dropped. Sidesaddles, shell caddies, arm bands, dump pouches, cargo pockets, dual load devices, speed loaders, bandoliers, practice loading dummy rounds as much as you can. You should plan to be able to completely fill up your shotgun from empty at least twice with whatever combination you choose. Fiber optics are nice, semi-autos are cool, Saigas and 1919's are cooler, but when it comes down to it, the average rate of fire of a shotgun is somewhere barely north of a cowboy six-gun, so after the first half dozen shots, reloading the tube is what separates the men from the boys. Also know where your slugs hit out to 125 yards or so.

Rifle: The main component to the Rifle is accuracy. Know where your rifle hits and your sight adjustments to as far out as you can shoot. Again you cannot miss fast enough to win, so it behooves you to not miss. That doesen't mean slapping on the highest power scope you can find, that means use what you have and learn how it works. Red-dots suck at range, magnification sucks up close and on obscured targets. Don't think gray qualifies as a camouflage color, stick a steel popper in the weeds, with a few shots on it. Personally, I can out shoot myself with irons about 90% of the time on most any stage I have shot. As far as ammo, out to 1-200 yards as long as it functions properly most any ammo will do for the targets we shoot. Past 200 is where you have to know your sights, drop, etc, and it's good to have some more accurate fodder. One mag pouch will do for most stages, unless you are shooting heavy, then run 2. Mag-clamps, extentions, long mags, Surefires, BETA's are all cool, and can up your game, but none are required to start off.

As far as other stuff, any type of cart is nice, unless the terrain of the range is really rough, in which case a sturdy backpack works better. A chair and an umbrella can also be very useful. A small cooler with drinks and snacks is nice. A cleaning kit for each gun should be mandatory, as well as a good supply of your favorite oil.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to use what you have. Don't go spend a lot of money to get started. Use what you have for now and buy gear as you gain experience. Your personal style and preferences will start to dictate what you 'need' as you go.

Here is my load out list. I actually clip this to the gunroom door and check everything off. The ONE time I did not, I left my shotshell carriers at home and had to borrow from James.

This list really helps for a starter like me! Thank you very much for posting your checklist!

I shot a couple of matches and asked questions then still made some wrong buys. Biggest one was when I put my AR together I bought a quad rail because I thought it looked cool. I found out the those rails are like teeth on a chainsaw when trying to push your rifle through ports. I just came back from Noveske multi gun match in Colorado and ordered a Carbon feather hand guard from James and Carbon Arms and am looking forward to using it this weekend in a local match. Buy what you can then change up when you find other stuff that you want to try. Most everyone I know that shoots 3gun usually buys new toys every year. Keeps you broke in and the dog house but what would life be if you weren't in trouble once in awhile?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my load out list. I actually clip this to the gunroom door and check everything off. The ONE time I did not, I left my shotshell carriers at home and had to borrow from James.

Nice list! Thanks.

The number one thing on the list should be cash. This sport ain't cheap and its addictive just like guns and cool gear is. A club match will cost you $50-100 in ammo, match fees, and gas. I used to think a $50 round of golf was expensive once or twice a month. Now ill drive 5-6 hours round trip 1-2 times a month sometimes twice a weekend to get my fix of 3 gun. I've probably spent $50k buying crap I thought or actually did need over the last 3 1/2 years since I started.

You need 3 guns and mags, shotgun caddys, pistol mag pouches, a belt, and ammo to get started. There is tons of stuff we all buy because we think it makes us better but you don't need most of it.

Good luck!

Edited by Jesse Tischauser