Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore syncing from iOS to android

pdice

We are unable to sync from an iOS device to an android practiscore device. However, it works in the opposite direction. The iOS devices can pull scores from the android device, a nook simple touch. Has anyone else seen this? We've been unable to find a workaround.

Are you running the same version of PractiScore on all of the devices? Or is the iOS Device at a different version than the Android device?

In the research I have done with regards to syncing devices between OS types it gets all jacked up if the versions of PractiScore are different.

Edited by CHA-LEE

One of the combinations of ios and android versions had this problem. The current ios version is 1.5.7. The current android version is 1.0.12. Those two talk to each other.

I just checked and it is iOS 1.5.7 and android 1.0.12.

OK, first, terminology definition: You can only sync FROM one PS device to another, not TO. PS is a "pull-only" model, so this is relatively important because it indicates what you're really trying to do.

If you're syncing an Android device FROM an iOS device (pulling match or scores FROM the iOS device to the Android device), you've entered the sync code of the iOS device in the box. If this is the case, are you getting a message that it can't find the iOS device?

If you're syncing an iOS device FROM an Android device (pulling a match or scores FROM an Android device to an iOS device), the Android device should show up in the sync list on the iOS device. Are you seeing the Android device in the sync list?

I've never seen Android "lie" about being on the WiFi network when it's not. I have seen the NOOKs drop off a network that has a weak signal. Sometimes after they've been allowed to go to sleep, they don't always come back up on the network (I think this is more network quality related than a NOOK/Android issue). You have the little network icon active? And they're on the SSID on the WiFi network?

While this may sound stupid, make sure the iOS device is awake. Sometimes when we're syncing 8 or 10 NOOKs, the iPad goes back to sleep before we're done. You'll get an error on the Android device that it can't find the iOS device, and it's like "What the... it was just working! ... Oh, the iPad went to sleep".

-jc

OK, first, terminology definition: You can only sync FROM one PS device to another, not TO. PS is a "pull-only" model, so this is relatively important because it indicates what you're really trying to do.

If you're syncing an Android device FROM an iOS device (pulling match or scores FROM the iOS device to the Android device), you've entered the sync code of the iOS device in the box. If this is the case, are you getting a message that it can't find the iOS device?

No message is displayed. The button goes black, then returns. I did receive a message once that the device was not available, but that was only when the iOS device was not turned on.

If you're syncing an iOS device FROM an Android device (pulling a match or scores FROM an Android device to an iOS device), the Android device should show up in the sync list on the iOS device. Are you seeing the Android device in the sync list?

This works and it worked with multiple iOS devices.

I've never seen Android "lie" about being on the WiFi network when it's not. I have seen the NOOKs drop off a network that has a weak signal. Sometimes after they've been allowed to go to sleep, they don't always come back up on the network (I think this is more network quality related than a NOOK/Android issue). You have the little network icon active? And they're on the SSID on the WiFi network?

It is connected to the wifi network. Also, I disconnected and reconnected it to the wifi network, powered the device down and back up, and neither changed things. Also, since we could pull a scores FROM an Android device to an iOS device, I don't think there was a network connectivity issue. Also, we did this from multiple places in relation to the AP. Right next to it, 100 yards away, each with at least 2 bars on each device.

While this may sound stupid, make sure the iOS device is awake. Sometimes when we're syncing 8 or 10 NOOKs, the iPad goes back to sleep before we're done. You'll get an error on the Android device that it can't find the iOS device, and it's like "What the... it was just working! ... Oh, the iPad went to sleep".

-jc

Working with pdice on this same issue.

iOS 1.5.7 on my iPhone & iPad

the Nook Simple Touch is the android 1.0.12 version.

We created a 4 stage USPSA match, 20 or so people in it. At the start of the match we pulled this match from the ipad onto the nook. Updated it once in the middle of the match. But have been otherwise unable to pull data onto the nook. Powered on/off, switched networks, switched "master" iOS devices to pull from.

I've switched matches on the iphone - and sync will immediately work on the nook again (i.e. it'll sync a new match). It's specific to this match / results.

Works for me with 1.0.12 and 1.5.7. Synching from ios to android, you have to put in the sync code of the sending device on the receiving machine. Android cannot find it by himself. I did have to put in the synch code of the android device on iOS (sometimes you have to do that) but for the most part he just finds any android devices out there and display them in a list.

Syncing in general works for us too, but on this particular match it just quit at one point. New matches work, but switching back to this match still will not sync on the Android/Nook. We'll see if this repeats on other Android devices or reoccurs at a future match.

I assume some score value or DQ entry is somehow causing issues.

Edited by bp78

• 5 months later...

Just had an error tonight with the latest version of PS on iOS and Android (as of 5/31/13). Syncing worked great for about 1.5 hours, then stopped working. Really strange that it worked fine initially, then stopped part-way through the match.

On iOS: when we'd go to choose the device to sync from, it would show the android device for about a second then it would disappear. When we entered the sync code, it would say the device was "no longer available".

On Android: entering the sync code and clicking the button would do nothing. It just sat there and nothing would happen (though again, it *did* work previously).

I reset wifi on both phones, restarted both phones, and the syncing wouldn't start working again. We thought maybe it was the range's WiFi, so I set the Android to hotspot mode and we'd get the same behavior (iOS would see the android moementarily, then it would disappear).

Edited by Adam Sills

Just had a IDPA match Sunday run flawlessly with practiscore using both Android and Apple iOS. Ensure both devices are up to date. We synced all devices to one master unit after the match. We had 71 shooters and 7 squads. Syncing was easy since we had wireless at our club.

Don't know. Guess I'll find out this weekend at South River's match. 1.1.11 nooks, 1.5.9 iPad/iphone master.

Synching from 1.1.11 to iOS 1.5.9 worked fine yesterday, with the exception of false notifications of stages having been modified. (They hadn't, but it didn't hurt anything.)

Edited by wgnoyes