Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 gen4 for game gun..

MP9

Hi guys..

I am thinking about buying a g34 gen4.. I have a g19 gen4 and really like the grip texture, size and mag release.. my hands are small so if I pick a gen19 gen3(or any other gern3) it is kind of hard to hit the mag release. that is why I and leaning toward the g34 g4.

but the thing is ,I am getting more into the "game" mode.. I shoot idpa(expert in my way to master) and now I shoot more uspsa. so I would like to take advantage of shooing minor PF or low reloads. going to some states matches with long shots, etc...

Could I without many complications set up the gen4? it is well known that you can find everything for gen3 and keep it reliable... but what about the gen4?

what about the jager guide rod and a 13# recoil spring? (for idpa ssp and pro)

is there a big difference between a g19 and g34 if I am no shooting low reloads? at least at 25/30 yards?, beside the long barrel and sight radius for long shots?

It sounds like the G-34 Gen4 might be perfect for you. You've identified the only "weak" spot in the gun, if you can call it that: it doesn't particularly care for 128 Power Factor loads. You solve it just like you envisioned, with a 13# spring.

I think that you MAY run into an equipment rules issue if you replace the guide rod with a metal one, at least in SSP, but you can put a 13 on a Gen3 guide rod and then use one of the reducer rings to make it seat in your Gen4 slide.

The difference in sight radius is the biggest diff in shooting the two guns side-by-side. With the G-19, you have to be spot-on with your sight alignment in order to ensure hits at 25/30 yards. With the 34, you can be a LITTLE sloppier (and therefore FASTER).

I shoot a Gen4 G34. I like it. I have had exactly one malfunction with it in 5k or so rounds and that was a light strike that I am convinced was a bad primer, as the trigger is stock. I shoot 135-138PF ammo with an 11lb recoil spring.

Mike Hughes shoots a 100% stock - sights and everything - G19. Make of that what you will.

Edited by DonovanM

Before I switched to Open I shot over 10k through my Gen4 G34 with only one issue-the aftermarket trigger reset spring broke ($3.50 part).

Believe it or not the gun would actually still run once the trigger was reset off of firing. I could not get it to reset for the life of me with my hand, but of I shot it, it would reset it.

Ignorant I know, but at the time I wasn't sure what was broke. Took about 5 shots before I quit and took it back home.

All in all, it's the best gun I've ever purchased. And keep in mind I have a 2011 STI sitting right next to it lol

Jager makes a poly guide rod for SSP and you are good to go. I never did like my gen4 34. I had issues with it doing random bad things so it left the safe and turned into a 1911. My other 34s are paper killin machines though. Easy to run fast and very forgiving. All I have compared them to was a 17 untill a friend brought over his Ruger SR9C and I was not impressed at how much I had to slow down with the short gun. Then he shot the 34 and said it was almost like cheating. It may not make you MA class, but it will tighten you up and make you a little faster.

dlp40cal:

If the trouble you are having with the magazine release is the fact that it is either digging into your support hand or if you are accidentally releasing the magazine while firing the gun, may I recommend the Vickers Tactical magazine release? Shorter and more rounded and smooth than the over-extended stock G34 release and longer than the release on the other 9mm Glock pistols.

dlp40cal:

If the trouble you are having with the magazine release is the fact that it is either digging into your support hand or if you are accidentally releasing the magazine while firing the gun, may I recommend the Vickers Tactical magazine release? Shorter and more rounded and smooth than the over-extended stock G34 release and longer than the release on the other 9mm Glock pistols.

Fine for IDPA, but for USPSA Production the legality is questionable...

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and

ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket

parts. Any other components which are externally visible

may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are

offered on the specific model of gun or another

approved gun from the same manufacturer except as

specifically clarified below. Examples of external

components which may only be replaced with OEM

parts include (but are not limited to): magazine

releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

<snip>

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends

only the length of the magazine release may be used.

A magazine release which provides larger surface

area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an

OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

<snip>