Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Tracker received - Range Report

Mig01

Got my .40 SVI Sight Tacker (AET barrel, grip covered in skater terrain) yesterday, along with a total of seven mags. So, I went to the range this morning despite the fact that it was below freezing and snowing. I shot some 165 gr Winchester white box and some 165 gr Blazer Brass, from 25 meters (27 yards) and then from 30 meters (33 yards). I shot a total of 200 rounds.

I had 4 FTE, which is normal according to Jean-Phillippe Doret from CRAFM in Montreal. Jean-Phillippe told me that I could experience this on occasion before the gun has had around a thousand rounds through it. Other than that, some of the mags failed to lock back on empty a few times, which is no big deal.

The shooting was done standing, freestyle, unsupported, with 1.5 sec to 2 sec. between shots. I have not zeroed the sight yet but the groups were centered on the bullseye, so it must be pretty close. Ten shot group size averaged 5 inch at 25 meters and 6 inch at 30, which is consistent with my shooting ability.

It was easy to grip the gun comfortably and solidly. Recoil was milder than expected (I am used to shooting 9mm). Also, I could easily to track the front sight on recoil.

I just love that gun.

Picked up my brass in the snow and dropped it in the brass bucket since I do not reload, then wen home and cleaned the gun.

P.S.: will wait unitl the gun runs 100% before using it for IPSC matches.

Nicely Done!!

Sounds like you've got the gun you ( and I want )...just in time for Christmas!!

How did you find the Trigger pull and reset?

When you clean your gun...are ther any scratches on the feed ramp on the AET barrel?

Thought locking back ( I prefer that my gun's don't) is a preferance...did all the mags feed and go in and out of the grip smoothly?

Are you able to pick up the sights easily and did the front sights' fiber optic look decent ( not overly bright)?

I was informed by Brandon at SVI that aprox 1K in rounds is typical for breaking in their guns.

Once again...Congratz....also post some pics soon.

I have not measured the trigger pull, but it should be at or very close to the 2.2lbs I had requested.. Pretravel is minimal and over travel is almost inexistent. Reset is short. This means that as soon as the gun comes down from recoil I am ready to fire again. Best trigger feel I ever got, very crisp.

I cleaned and relubricated the gun when I got home. No scratches anywhere including on the feed ramp which is very well polished. One other thing: CRAFM had lubed the gun with Slide-Glide (the red one) before delivery, which is the lubricant I use already. I cleaned the barrel using Hoppes Elite and patches only. It took only a few swipes to clean it perfectly.

On the mags: living in Canada I got 10 rounds mags. All of them went in and seated easily (you hear them click). I inserted them with the slide close and with the slide open and it went smoothly in all cases. All mags dropped freely from the grip upon pushing the mag release, whether they were full, half full or empty.

The front sight is 1.5mm wide with fiber optic and very easy to pick up. It was not overly bright, but mind you it was cloudy and snowy. It would probably be brighter on a sunny day but I am not sure it would appear brighter given the overall increased brightness of the surroundings.

The gun is also perfectly balanced for me so I found it easy to aim and control and, upon reflection, it might be the reason why I felt the recoil was mild for a .40.

I am very happy with the build. Some people may prefer a narrower or larger sight, a different grip, dfferent cosmetics, etc... That is what I find great with Infinity Firearms, they will build the gun you need or want, and do it to perfection.

I will not have time to shoot it again before Saturday but I will have time to take a few more pics and will post them in the Gallery section

Forgetful,

The sight tracker uses a ribbed barrel and the front sight is mounted on the rhat rib rather than on the slide. So, when the slide moves back, the front side does not move with it but basically just lifts with the barrel. Some people do not see an advantage in it, but for me it makes keeping my eye on the front sight easier.

I have not measured the trigger pull, but it should be at or very close to the 2.2lbs I had requested.. Pretravel is minimal and over travel is almost inexistent. Reset is short. This means that as soon as the gun comes down from recoil I am ready to fire again. Best trigger feel I ever got, very crisp.

I cleaned and relubricated the gun when I got home. No scratches anywhere including on the feed ramp which is very well polished. One other thing: CRAFM had lubed the gun with Slide-Glide (the red one) before delivery, which is the lubricant I use already. I cleaned the barrel using Hoppes Elite and patches only. It took only a few swipes to clean it perfectly.

On the mags: living in Canada I got 10 rounds mags. All of them went in and seated easily (you hear them click). I inserted them with the slide close and with the slide open and it went smoothly in all cases. All mags dropped freely from the grip upon pushing the mag release, whether they were full, half full or empty.

The front sight is 1.5mm wide with fiber optic and very easy to pick up. It was not overly bright, but mind you it was cloudy and snowy. It would probably be brighter on a sunny day but I am not sure it would appear brighter given the overall increased brightness of the surroundings.

The gun is also perfectly balanced for me so I found it easy to aim and control and, upon reflection, it might be the reason why I felt the recoil was mild for a .40.

I am very happy with the build. Some people may prefer a narrower or larger sight, a different grip, dfferent cosmetics, etc... That is what I find great with Infinity Firearms, they will build the gun you need or want, and do it to perfection.

I will not have time to shoot it again before Saturday but I will have time to take a few more pics and will post them in the Gallery section

I think if you use Mobil1, or FP1 for lube, your malfunctions in cold weather will go away.

I love Slide Glide in the summer, but, won't even think of using it if it's going to be cold.

I think you would be surprised at just how much polishing it would take to simulate 1000 rounds of use.

Why do you think cars need 500-1000 miles before putting them under load. No difference.

Infinity guns are fit extremely tight and heat treated to very exacting specs. This is why I have shot 35000 rounds through a Stainless Infinity and honestly you could not tell it was not a brand new gun. Smooth as glass and built to last.

Lee

Shooter57,

I do not mind needing up to a thousand rounds to break the gun in perfectly. Also, as another member pointed, the first time I shot the gun was in subfreezing temperature and a gun lubrified with Slide Glide (which is what I use) may malfunction in the cold.

I went to the range again yesterday, shot 200 rounds with only one failure to feed. On that one, I clearly felt the slide rub my left thumb and that is most likely what caused it. Yesterday temperature was in the mid forties at my outdoor range.

I had invited a friend to shoot with me. He is a firearm instructor with the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). He also shot around 200 rounds with my gun and experienced no malfunction whatsoever. Moreover, he shot two ten round groups each under 2 inches (from 20 meters, standing, freestyle unsupported, 15 secondsfor for each 10 shot string starting from low ready). I was impressed with his shooting and he was impressed with the gun. He helped me correct my grip a little. My own best 10 shot group yesterday was 2.5 inches, which is the best I have ever done with any handgun. Mind you most of my groups were between 3 and 4.5 inch.

The ammo we were shooting was Blazer Brass .40 165gr FMJ, far from the best but very affordable.

The next gun I buy will definitely be another Infinity... although I will need to save my money for quite a while before I can afford to purchase another one.