Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics for newb first ar

Highsider989

What's the big difference between the Burris MTAC and the tac30?

The obvious physical difference is the TAC30 rotates the entire eyepiece to change between 1-4, the MTAC only has a rotating ring. There were some other small improvements but looking through both, the glass appeared to be the same to me...and for the money, it's very good.

What's the big difference between the Burris MTAC and the tac30?

The obvious physical difference is the TAC30 rotates the entire eyepiece to change between 1-4, the MTAC only has a rotating ring. There were some other small improvements but looking through both, the glass appeared to be the same to me...and for the money, it's very good.

Thanks, that being the case I'd go for the tac30. Can anyone find a better deal than midway has? 299 for black, 279 dark earth the mount for 87? Optics planet was exactly the same.

MTac is worth the extra money. Better turrets, better magnification adjustment and better electronics. Don't quote me, but I believe it has the XTR glass as well. I would also spring for a better mount as well. The PEPR is ok for rifles which spend most of thier time in a safe or a gun bag, but 3gun rifles get tossed around pretty good. You need a solid mount to keep from having small POI shifts. I'd get a JP or a Warne one piece. You could of course go high end and get a Larue (what I use) or a Bobro, but JP wiorks well too and is a little less expensive. Your scope will hold zero no better than your mount. It needs to be a bank vault and rugged enough to not get banged up.

MTac is worth the extra money. Better turrets, better magnification adjustment and better electronics. Don't quote me, but I believe it has the XTR glass as well. I would also spring for a better mount as well. The PEPR is ok for rifles which spend most of thier time in a safe or a gun bag, but 3gun rifles get tossed around pretty good. You need a solid mount to keep from having small POI shifts. I'd get a JP or a Warne one piece. You could of course go high end and get a Larue (what I use) or a Bobro, but JP wiorks well too and is a little less expensive. Your scope will hold zero no better than your mount. It needs to be a bank vault and rugged enough to not get banged up.

Good point.

Well said. I use the JP mounts exclusively.

Look around, I lucked up on a used Nightforce 1-4x24, wih a mount and rings, from someone that I knew for $800. I really like this scope. You have some time, so look around at your local matches (most people will let you shoot their setup to see what you may like), talk to some people and check the classifieds between now and when your rifle gets to you.

Hurley

• 3 weeks later...

There are some great suggestions and opinions here. personally I went with a Weaver 1-3 in a LaRue mount. All under $400 new. The mount is rock solid and the glass is amazingly clear and cannot be beat until you get int much more expensive glass. I considered the Tac30 but did not like how much of the target is covered with a litte bit of distance.

I got the Burris Tac 30. Looks good so far. I figure I need to shot a bit and try some others after I know what I'm doing. As I'm gearing up from zero expense is an issue.

I did get my gun kart done on Saturday. My stag will have a place to rest once it gets here.

There are some great suggestions and opinions here. personally I went with a Weaver 1-3 in a LaRue mount. All under $400 new. The mount is rock solid and the glass is amazingly clear and cannot be beat until you get int much more expensive glass. I considered the Tac30 but did not like how much of the target is covered with a litte bit of distance.

I also use a Weaver 1x3 it does every thing I need it to do up to 200 yds. For me i dont do much AR shooting but thats fine.

With a 16" stock barrel, all the shots inside the A zone.

thanks