Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interchangeable Breechface

sps

Most of the wear on a slide is on the breach face in an open gun. This is supposed to help you keep your open gun longer.

Most people I know don't use them.

Seems like a waste to me. Odds are if you breachface cracks you may have other stress cracks so probably should replace the whole slide.

Now the other thing would be if you could replace the breach face and extractor and use it for a second caliber, that would be cool. But I don't know if its possible.

Go to the SVI website....useful info there.

It enables you to complete a precise engineering change of caliber by simply installing a new caliber breechface, barrel and extractor. The typical costs of additional slides, sights, and the labor intensive matching of these components to the frame are eliminated. per the SVI website

I have a gun with the interchangable breechface and asked about the caliber conversions. The caliber conversions are about $400 plus magazines and require the gun to be shipped back to SV for fitting so also factor in about $70 for shipping ($35 each way). It is supposed to take about 10 minutes to switch calibers once you've got it in hand.

Guest Larry Cazes
Somewhere around here you'll find Nolan's video of his breech face flying mid-stage

Yup....and somewhere you will also find his post about his findings that it was his fault for over torqueing the screw. Since I have followed SV's and my local smith's instructions for installation, mine has not been a problem through about 8K rounds so far.

LOVE MINE,CAN SWITCH calibers from super to nine or whatever easily, also nice to replace breechface rather than entire slide.

gunsmiths especially like them for caliber choices when building new blasters cause you dont need a pile of diff. cal. slides just same slides diff. breechfaces. but hey,ever have to resurface your fixed breechface? B)

Mine (limited .40) came loose at the Tenn. St. match and caused a FTE. I am pretty sure I hate it. It was flopping around. It could have been real ugly. I was able to clear the chamber and continue the stage. I shot one more stage after that thinking that my extractor was weak because I went to the safe area and checked the hook. Never crossed my mind to check the breech face! Duh?? I can't help but wonder how many more rounds it would have taken before I saw Nolan's video live and in my hands.

Like Chriss said:

Only 1 more part to screw you.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't USPSA, appendix E, Limited Division, item E, say, Changing caliber...specifically not allowed. ?

Bill

you can change to a caliber that is under current manufacture in that gun.