Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"See the soghts rise"?

Skins45

Ok i've been trolling seriously for a few months now in order to start my first USPSA season in March. I see a lot about how important it is to see the sights raise in order to get a good follow up shot, and I have the basic concept. But could someone enlighten me on the finer points? Anything more elaborate at all. Im a visual learner so a video or pics would be awesome.

Crap. Cant change title. Mods can you correct my terrible iphone misspelling?

Edited by Skins45

Visual learner huh? Ok. This is simple. Grab your gun and a bunch of ammo. Load up and shoot the berm. Yep, it's that simple.

Here's the deal. Pul the trigger as fast as you can and watch the sights. You don't care what your aiming at, get it? Watch the sights. You should see them lift and return. If not you are blinking/flinching. This is something that you do up close to the berm, 4-5 feet. This little drill will cure a blink and help you learn to SEE what you need to see.

Pay attention to the muscles of your face and especially around your eyes. Learn to relax these muscles.

Hope this helps.

Skins, that is going to depend on you actually. Up and to the left or right is indicative some may say of uneven grip pressure. I find that while they rise up and to the left a bit, they seem to come down into the notch. It is weird though that when I started to notice what they were doing, then it quickly became sub-conscience. I can tell when I am not watching my sights, like if I start to rush, and my hits suffer dramatically. Once you get used to shooting your sights, you get lost sometimes when you try and rush. Your sights will dictate your speed, and seeing them lift will speed you up on it's own without trying to push. You will find that while it seems slow at first, it really isn't.

That's the beauty of it. Keep doing the drill and adjust your grip until sights rise straight and fall straight.

It's all a learning experience.

If you are right handed and your sight are rising up an left I'd start with easing my right hand pressure back a little and applying more pressure with my left hand.

Of course I could be wrong, maybe it's your left hand squeezing too much and torquing/pulling it left a little.

The beauty of the drill is it'll cure a blink and help you figure grip pressure. It's up to you to experiment with it and make the small adjustments you think are needed.

No amount of knowing the answer will ever replace YOU experiencing the answer through trial and error.

Edited by Chris iliff

I just figured out Shot Calling this week. And I understood it because of that video posted and another one. But, I couldn't figure it out on the range. I shoot a .40 and was trying to figure it out with Major PF loads. Well, I'm a slow learner and needed a slower bullet. So, I loaded up 200 rounds of a Minor PF Clay's load and got to work. Not only did I figure out shot calling (seeing the sights rise and the point that it happened) But I had a match on Sunday, and using Major loads, saw my sights rise at a point where I was shooting into hardcover and shot a follow up shot because of it. After the stage ended, found out that the bullet I had "called" went exactly where I thought it did, which was not in the scoring zone.

In the course of a week, went from only seeing the sights with minor loads at a berm, to utilizing in a match with Major loads. This also kept me from dropping my accuracy score which lead to statistically being the most accurate out of 44 shooters of the day. Normally I'm not even in the top 15. Shot calling will drastically improve your game.

If my sights aren't tracking straight I make a conscious effort to turn my elbows up a little higher. It's uncomfortable for me (old shoulder injury) so I get lazy but it seems to restrict the sideways motion in my wrists.

• 1 month later...

After reading the chapter about grip and stance in Brian's book it appears that sights shouldn't lift straight. If I'm uncomfortable and have tension in my arms or shoulders I'm fighting the gun and shooting slower.