Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Definition of "Freestyle"

Precision40

Damn,

and I've been thinking all this time freestyle meant I had to actually swim through the stage... <_<

:D:P:lol:

Now, seriously, it means that, provided you comply with the basic safety rules (some of which have been highlighted by DB), you're pretty much on your own in the stage, and entitled to do what you think is best to solve the shooting challenge presented.

More than that, freestyle may NOT specify exgage these targets from here, then these targets from there....

True freestyle stages allow the shooter to choose in which order he wants to engage the targets. In true freestyle stages, some shooters might run a lot, while others walk a shorter distance and take longer shots. Freestyle is about choices; it's not about everyone shooting the stage the same way.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was practicing "Reload Standards" and found it easier to shoot the freestyle part strong-handed, have the reload mag in hand for a faster mag change. My time was actually faster doing it stronghand than freestyle.

Interesting that you asked. One of the students in the level one seminar I taught this past weekend thought that freestyle meant you had to shoot with both hands on the gun. Everybody here has answered sufficiently--it means do it like you want, as long as you do it safely. ;)

Troy

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was practicing "Reload Standards" and found it easier to shoot the freestyle part strong-handed, have the reload mag in hand for a faster mag change. My time was actually faster doing it stronghand than freestyle.

What are your points each way? in a standards stage like this one, it is preferable to score max points (A's) rather than making the times. I'm assuming you are a C or B class shooter, just try to get as many A's in the time allowed, don't try to sling rounds at the targets and make the times. Standards are designed so that GM's will have to push to make the times and get their hits, Lower classes should focus on the hits possible with in the tine allowed. If you can only get 4 or 5 off in the time and get A's, that is better than making the time with Misses and D's

As it was explained to me, if it is not detailed in the stage description then you may shoot it any way you want.

A COF has a starting box, a barricade with a port and 3 arrays of targets.

Starting position is hands on X, gun loaded in holster.

Stage procedure is: Upon signal engage array A from left side on barricade, mandatory reload engage array B through the port, mandatory reload engage array C from right side of barricade.

Shooter Z draws & steps to the left out of the box and shoots ararry A, reloads and steps backwards out of the box to shoot through the port, reloads and steps to the right to shoot array C. Has he done anything wrong?

Answer from CRO: No. The stage procedure did not say stay in the box.

Lesson: If it ain't written down how to do it, then it is your choice.

Can someone clarify for me what exactly "freestyle" means?

I hope the following rules will assist:

1.1.5 Freestyle – IPSC matches are freestyle. Competitors must be permitted to solve the challenge presented in a freestyle manner, and to shoot targets on an "as and when visible" basis. Courses of fire must not require mandatory reloads nor dictate a shooting position or stance, except as specified below. However, conditions may be created, and barriers or other physical limitations may be constructed, to compel a competitor into shooting positions or stances.

........ 1.1.5.1 Level I and Level II matches are not required to comply strictly with the freestyle requirements or round count limitations.

........ 1.1.5.2 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may include mandatory reloads and may dictate a shooting position or stance, however, mandatory reloads must never be required in other Long Courses.

........ 1.1.5.3 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may specify shooting with the strong hand or weak hand unsupported. The specified hand must be used exclusively from the point stipulated for the remainder of the string or stage.