Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics for Wife's GSG 1911

Exgreenberet

I want to put a red dot sight on my wife's GSG 1911. It is the standard model - no bottom rail. So I need a mount that screws into the frame/dust cover. I also want one that sits as low to the frame as possible, may even remove the iron sights.

I am starting to lean towards the C-More Serendipity, but I'm not sure which model. I have seen different model numbers for different size frames, and I don't know which would fit the GSG. Also not sure if ejection would be a problem with the mount going over both sides of the frame.

I am open to any suggestions though. If you have a low mounted red dot on a GSG I would love to see it or get some input from you.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a Burris FF on my ruger, but I always thought one mounted on a 1911 style slide could not take the abuse. Two questions on the Jpoint and Burris; can they really take the abuse and do they have dovetail mounts that fit the GSG?

We shoot quite a bit - around 200-400 rounds per week

Edited by Exgreenberet

Look on the JP website for mounts. You would probably have to measure the slide cut to see what it might match up with. It's fairly new and doubt if you would find a mount that said it was for that brand of gun.

I'd recommend one melted in like in the pictures.

but I always thought one mounted on a 1911 style slide could not take the abuse. Two questions on the Jpoint and Burris; can they really take the abuse and do they have dovetail mounts that fit the GSG?

The GSG is a .22 right? I see slide ride sights on full Open guns that seem to be holding up.

I would venture to guess any sight you want fitted will require gunsmith type involvement to make it right. Especially your less mainstream brands.

Slide mount or use a regular cmore and a 90 degree mount. The 22 slide ride is fine as it is not near as violent as the open guns with 9mm major that have had some problems. If you have a good smith that can install the cmore mount then the 90 degree keeps it low

I haven't put a lot of rounds through my GSG. Is it a dovetail cut? If so, why not use the C-More STS and mount it via the dovetail.

I would love to do it to mine and make it a steel-gun.

Edited by polizei1

You could cause reliability issues with a slide mounted optic because it adds weight to the slide.

1.16 OZ isn't much. That would be easy to compensate for.

you would be surprised. All 22s are sketchy , including this one. I've been working through some reliability issues with my GSG1911. 1.1 oz is a lot on a slide that was already designed to be light as possible.

Edited by Roy Hess

According to Burris, the FastFire III weighs 0.9 of an ounce, probably without the battery. Imagine it would weigh about an ounce with battery. Slide mounted, should weigh pretty close to the same on the slide after removal of the metal for the mounting area.

I had a c-more Serendipity put on my Kimber 22(not a conversion but the light 22 model they make) and it is a great steel gun. I also added a flared maxwell and oversized mag release an 15 round Ceiner mags. I love this gun and vey accurate and quick for shooting steel challenge. I highly recommend the c-more red dots. Have them on my open STI open guns also.

Bob "The Captain"

• 4 months later...

I have just joined the GSG club, and have an itch to build up a "nice" steel challenge gun. Wanting to know if anyone has any real experience with slide mounted sights or if I should just stick with the tried and true frame mount. IMHO I can't see how 32 grams will slow down the slide that much and seems to be a better option than adding almost 4 times that much to the gun for a cmore system.

IMHO I can't see how 32 grams will slow down the slide that much...

All the energy to run the system comes from those little .22 rounds. Lots of springs, frictions, and weights to overcome already. I don't have any hard data to go off of, but my gut tells me to not add resistance/work load to the system with little 22's. (I do have plenty of experience watching 22's not run in various matches that I shoot and RO.)

I've used both slide ride and frame mounted optics and I've noticed that a frame mounted cmore is faster and has a better view than any slide mounted option. I can shoot a pistol with irons faster than a slide mounted optic.

I've used both slide ride and frame mounted optics and I've noticed that a frame mounted cmore is faster and has a better view than any slide mounted option. I can shoot a pistol with irons faster than a slide mounted optic.

That is a good point too. Apart from the mechanical operation/function of the gun itself, a moving (and smaller) optic just isn't as easy to see (quickly) as frame mounted red dot. Plus, with a frame mount, you might be able to go with a full sized Cmore...which give a better view than the mini dots anyway.