Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this an acceptable time for reload?

halogrinder

I am a noob IDPA shooter, but have been shooting all my life.

please review this video for me, and tell me what i could be doing better/faster.

all shots were "A" shots, no wild ones.

the shot timer was off of my phone, i was trying to use a 2.7 par time..... and was trying to react to the buzzer, thats why my shot has a gap before i reload.

thanks!

http://contour.com/videos/watch/reloads

http://contour.com/stories/reoads-2

now, i know these arent the best videos, but any help is better than no help :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's tought to judge the first video..

Not sure why your waiting so long before starting the reload..

The most important thing about the reload is to start it as soon as the bullet lives the barrel

You want the gun to lift in recoil right into your thumb as you hit the mag release..

You actual arm movement looks smooth but could be a bit faster.

Set your timer to 1.6 that's about what you ant to push for.

That's not the fastest but its respectable :)

Took me a second to figure out what you were doing in the video, but I think I understand now. I would recommend changing the way you practice your reloads.

First, much of the work you are doing there could and should be done in dryfire first. You have to learn some new habits and unlearn some old ones. A good habit to learn would be seeing what you need to see to call your shot then immediately transitioning to your reload motion. In your video, waiting to respond to the beep is most likely building up a bad habit. So in dryfire, I would practice dropping the hammer (while seeing the sights and following through), then reloading, then reacquiring the sights and pulling the trigger all in one smooth exercise.

The other thing you should do is figure out how to slide lock reload using the slide release. You are losing a ton of time with your current motion. I know the XDM doesn't have an ambi slide release, and I'm not a lefty, so I don't know what the proper technique is. But I'm sure you can figure out something faster.

Practice those two things in dryfire a bunch. Then when you go live, use a similar par time, but break the shot upon hearing the buzzer, then initiate your reload.

Those are the low hanging fruit for you. There are plenty of ways to fine tune after that, but you'll have time to work on those later.

Hope that helps.

Maybe other left handed folks could better answer the question. For a right handed person, the time could be better.

No par time. Set the timer, if possible, for a random start. Start with gun up and aimed at target. Target should be at least 10 yards away. When timer goes off, fire two shots, reload, and then fire two more shots. Two shots, rather than one, will better help you determine if you’re properly reestablishing a good grip after the reload, and practicing other basic fundamentals. Reload is not a success unless you get four alphas or 0 points down.

Like others have said, it would be faster if you can learn to let the slide release go without reaching over and pulling the slide back. I’m not left handed so I don’t know how difficult it is to release the slide without a slide release on the right side of the gun. Perhaps you could release the slide with your left index finger? Of course, do what is safest and most comfortable for you.

Someone said you’re shooting and XD. If that’s true, you may also want to contact the Springfield Armory custom shop and see if anything can be done to help a lefty. I know some guns can be altered to allow the slide release to automatically go forward when a magazine is inserted. I don’t see how a slide release can be placed on the right side of an XD, but I would still ask.

Edited by grapemiester

I am left handed and also use a Springfield Xdm for my production and IDPA ESP gun. I have found that for slide lock reloads the fastest way to release the slide is to use your right index finger. Lets see if I can explain. You grab the spare mag of your belt with your right hand with the your index finger riding on the mag guiding the mag in. while seating the mag with the heel of your right hand allow your right index finger to ride over your left fingers and make a slight outward roll with your right hand. This should place your right finger on or very near the slide lock. Then simply depress the slide lock with your index finger, for added leverage you can squeeze with your right thumb on the right side of the frame at the same time. Your left index finger safely rides along the frame of the gun and also protects the trigger against accidentally getting your right index finger close to the trigger guard. I hope this makes sense. I will try to post pictures later when my wife is here to take some.

I am left handed and also use a Springfield Xdm for my production and IDPA ESP gun. I have found that for slide lock reloads the fastest way to release the slide is to use your right index finger. Lets see if I can explain. You grab the spare mag of your belt with your right hand with the your index finger riding on the mag guiding the mag in. while seating the mag with the heel of your right hand allow your right index finger to ride over your left fingers and make a slight outward roll with your right hand. This should place your right finger on or very near the slide lock. Then simply depress the slide lock with your index finger, for added leverage you can squeeze with your right thumb on the right side of the frame at the same time. Your left index finger safely rides along the frame of the gun and also protects the trigger against accidentally getting your right index finger close to the trigger guard. I hope this makes sense. I will try to post pictures later when my wife is here to take some.

Although I'm right handed, I still gave your technigue a try, and it works pretty good. You can just roll your right hand into the grip after hitting the slide release...too cool.

If you put your trigger finger on the slide release. Slam the mag in ( you dont have to kill it) The Slide will release to battery. It's the way I do my 1911's being a lefty. It works the same when I shoot my friends 5.25. GOOD LUCK!

If you put your trigger finger on the slide release. Slam the mag in ( you dont have to kill it) The Slide will release to battery. It's the way I do my 1911's being a lefty. It works the same when I shoot my friends 5.25. GOOD LUCK!

Until it doesn't work. Seen it happen a ton.

my lefty cz friends will do this as well

T

Yes, but your finger is already in place to release the slide. Win win

I think it's good that you're not just shooting one shot. This way you can feel and sense that you've shot to slide lock. I hope you are trying to tell.

Par time beeps are good for dry-fire practice. I think it's a bad habit to wait for the beep once you've shot to slide lock since we revert to what we train under stress. If that was a smartphone that doesn't pick up shots then set the par time for the shots not the start of the reload. This way you'll know how long it takes your brain to say "reload!" to your body.

I can't tell but are you looking at your magwell? It's also hard to tell how high you're keeping the gun.

Tomasi's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GsmUzSBaUQ I always pick us something new.

Do the slide release. It's way faster than slingshot. I'd say pick one technique and stick with it for a while to see if it works before switching.

Thanks for posting.

DNH

I gave it a try and I like your technique better than the other one. You don't have to put much pressure at all on the slide realease. Like I said, I'm not left handed, but this technique could come in handy if my right hand becomes injured in a fire fight. I'll practice it on a regular basis. Thanks!

T

Yes, but your finger is already in place to release the slide. Win win

You've already smacked the slide home but now you don't know if it picked up a round

Do you ever until you pull the trigger. You know what you're talking about, but I'm not following... it's not making since. In a match are you looking to see if a round was chambered? You shouldn't be. Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand what you're talking about.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the responses folks.

the reason i do the slingshot teqnique is because i *KNOW* with authority, any gun i pick up, will charge the weapon like that.

Being a LEFT handed person in a RIGHT handed world does not equal equality unfortunately.

I try to shoot IDPA like i would shoot in real world. yes, i dont carry a 5.25 XDM daily, but carry a XD9sc, same ergonomics.

I would have to say, that i appreciate the input and will follow up with what I find. I especially like the idea of using the right hand index finger for slide lock release, and will look into it...

but at the end of the day, small motor functions dissapear under high stress environments, and the slingshot- while slightly slower will charge any semi auto, any day.

I'll try to get some better video, and some better skills shortly :cheers:

Edited by halogrinder

Not all semiautos like to release the slide using the slingshot type method. I have two 1911s that dont like to release from slide lock that way. Sometimes you might have to rack that slide a dozen times before it releases. Then there are some cheap handguns out there that dont even have a slide release so you have to rack the slide to release it. You need to know both methods. Just something to keep inmind.

Edited by bigfish

• 1 month later...

update: Ill be putting more videos into this area......

http://contour.com/users/halogrinder

if you see anything you like/dont like/comment/suggest/props i would appreciate it.

its my local IDPA practice i do..... need to keep recording so i can see my mistakes!

this group of videos were from 2/23, i got 3rd out of 15.

• 1 month later...