Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 G3G Practical Shotgun Challenge July 6-7 at The World Shooting Co

My one local club just charges $3 for a round of skeet or trap. They provide the clay birds. And in actuality it's considered a donation and is done on the honor system.

Were any of the competitors made aware that trap, skeet, and SC were going to be included in the overall match prior to submitting their match "app" and fee?

Could you switch guns for those three events, or barrel lengths, or even just chokes?

Hi, Rob!

Brad. Did you even shoot the match? HHHMMM NO! I didnt think so. It kind of seems your bitching little bit about how everything went down. Did the match go perfect, No. Have you ever been to a perfect match? Go shoot trap or skeet at your club for $3 and dont sign up to shoot the next shotgun match.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna put in my .02. This match has great potential. Did it have first year problems??? Absolutely!!!! What match doesn't? Did I hate the trap skeet and sporting clays??? Yep! Am I mad because they didn't tell us we were doing that in advance?? No way! That's what I love about shooting matches. You have to be very well-rounded in your skills to compete at this level. As far as the RO problems go, All you have to do is do it like Joe Harris does at the Benelli shotgun match, Run 10 stages a day with static RO's. If you haven't been to this complex you're missing out. The main gripe I have is the way the scoring was done. If you're going to put it in the book you have to stick to it. You can't let outside influences change the way you score the match to make one guy win another guy not. I want to thank all the RO's and especially the guys who did all the hard work to set this up. Katie and I will definitely be back next year

It was a great match and tons of fun to shoot. Today was the first day I woke up without any pains. :cheers:

I just found out the jungle run was 130 yards and the long field course was 150 yard, each way. It's no wonder I'm sore, I'm not used to that kinda movement. :roflol:

Jeremy, Aaron and Kevin (the welder for many of the props) did a fantastic job of building this past match. The RO's worked their tails off keeping things going, do the math on just those two stages above and they clicked off a few miles on those stages alone with a full or plus full squad.

Thanks guys for your efforts and bringing this level of match to the St. Louis area.

The next chance we'll get to play with some of G3G's new steel will be 8/3/13 at their next 3-gun match and I plan to be there for sure. I hope to see you there.

Steve

My one local club just charges $3 for a round of skeet or trap. They provide the clay birds. And in actuality it's considered a donation and is done on the honor system.

Were any of the competitors made aware that trap, skeet, and SC were going to be included in the overall match prior to submitting their match "app" and fee?

Could you switch guns for those three events, or barrel lengths, or even just chokes?

Hi, Rob!

Yeah, I just quoted myself.

I found my answer here:

5.5. Competitors will not reconfigure any firearm during the course of a match. (i.e. change caliber, barrel length, shotgun magazine tube length, sighting systems or stock style.)

Here is some of my match video. Loved the match. I would shoot it again next year for sure.

I got to witness Adam shooting. Awesome job. On his game!

If it wasn't for the bolt pin freezing up his gun on the boat stage he would have been even farther up the chow line. This Also later caused slug accuracy issues due to changing parts on shotgun to fix. Throw out those stages and wow!

I worked the match, and did the worst job as an RO I've done in a long time. It was a long hot match and its too hard to be an official, set and paste, and worry about your own shooting. RO's shouldn't shoot with competitors in a "major" match in my opinion.

I enjoy clay bird games. I don't enjoy them in a 3gun style match. The scoring being so confusing I still don't understand it isn't helping much.

All that being said I think it was a fun match. Much more gun than the Pan-Am I shot the week before. I'm looking forward to shooting it next year and I'm more than happy to work as an RO or in whatever position I'm needed.

I thought this was a great match, and enjoyed the clays stages. I'd never shot clays before, and did terrible, but now I have something to work on. I can also see shooting clays improving my overall shooting skillset.

Here's some video from my attempt at day 1.

I spent more time worrying about our squad, stage briefings, resolving questions, etc than shooting, but I still had great fun on each. Hopefully you can get a feel for what some of these stages looked like.

If you've never been to the Sparta World Shooting Complex, put it on your must see match list... if not for this match, then another major in the future. It's one of IL's best kept secrets for competition shooters.

PS - the USPSA IL Sectional will be held at this range in late August: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-match-details.php?indx=796

PSS - Every month for the next 4 (Aug, Sept, Oct & Nov) Gateway 3-Gun is hosting their monthly 3-gun match out at this range on the Saturday of the first weekend of the month. 6 stages, $40.00, roaming ROs, plaques to top finishers, and random door prize drawing for gun. Keep an eye on G3G's facebook page for more info on each as they post online registration information: https://www.facebook.com/Gateway3Gun

• 3 months later...

Did I hate the trap skeet and sporting clays??? Yep!

To be honest I would be kind of surprised if there was a shotgun championship without flying clays. Skeet and especially trap is about the most fundamental shotgun skill there is. If somebody can't do halfway well at trap, they are not a good shotgunner.

Also a little tip on the thrown clays and charcoal... use your strong/trigger hand! You get more height and control, can use it as a counter balance, plus your gun is already in position to where you can shoulder it quickly. Don't toss it underhand either, reach back and sling them from behind like a discus. Look up Patrick Flanigan on youtube and watch how he does it, it's the most efficient. I do this just for the hell of it, never expected it to be in a competition. Two is easy with little practice. Three is more sketchy, you have to have your throw down pretty good.

What's interesting is if you do the charcoal thing, except use golf balls. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9pjtDi_6A

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Did I hate the trap skeet and sporting clays??? Yep!

To be honest I would be kind of surprised if there was a shotgun championship without flying clays. Skeet and especially trap is about the most fundamental shotgun skill there is. If somebody can't do halfway well at trap, they are not a good shotgunner.

The difference is these matches are tactical shotgun matches. Most of us don't go to the match for flying clay shooting. You can get that any day if the week at your local trap/skeet/sporting clays range. A little bit of it is fun but there is a fine line between testing all the shotgun skills and fun tactical type action shooting.

Also a little tip on the thrown clays and charcoal... use your strong/trigger hand! You get more height and control, can use it as a counter balance, plus your gun is already in position to where you can shoulder it quickly. Don't toss it underhand either, reach back and sling them from behind like a discus. Look up Patrick Flanigan on youtube and watch how he does it, it's the most efficient. I do this just for the hell of it, never expected it to be in a competition. Two is easy with little practice. Three is more sketchy, you have to have your throw down pretty good.

What's interesting is if you do the charcoal thing, except use golf balls. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9pjtDi_6A

Those guys are exhibition shooters. They shoot X number of clays in one throw and that's it. We gotta shoot, load and shoot some more as fast as we can.